Member Spotlight
Michel_Benarrosh
Michel_Benarrosh
Miami, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (foreversxm, lbksxm, hokiesailor, jbutah, knitsoftwear, CaribbeanCanadians, Kennys, SirRichard, sunmantwo, Debby, SXMScubaman, Eva, Instigator, marybeth, luvtotravel, JeanneB, JandIrene, marisol, xrayman67, Jaybird, StMartinFan, 9 invisible), 981 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Conclusions from first Visit #281410
04/30/2022 09:50 AM
04/30/2022 09:50 AM
Vermont, USA
VTSailor Offline OP
Traveler
VTSailor  Offline OP
Traveler
Vermont, USA
So my wife and I just concluded our first visit to the BVI. We chartered a 35 ft monohull from DYC and sailed for a week just the two of us.

First, thanks to this forum we got a lot of valuable information before we came. Thanks to everyone here who contributes.

Observations, thoughts from a first timer:

This was our first charter so I have little to compare it to but we were very happy with DYC. The folks who run the dock and slips are particularly capable and helpful. Our boat was far from brand new but everything worked to our satisfaction.

I was also pleasantly surprised on how easily we found anchorages that were a bit on the quiet side but still well within shouting distance of a bar or restaurant if that’s what you want (we only cooked on the boat one night 🙂). We particularly liked Diamond Key and Privateer Bay. Most places we stayed had balls or anchoring spots available until dusk which I was surprised to see after expecting the worst in terms of crowds (of course we stayed away from the really popular spots which I’m sure had something to do with it).

To state the obvious the sailing was great and perfect for a short handed couple to manage without too much drama. We used the engine for a total of 6 hours the whole week. Not bad!

Did not make it to Anagada this go around but we have already decided to come back with another couple next year, rent a slightly larger boat, and make that a stop early in a 2 week trip. We will also put in a flex day in the beginning to take out any travel drama.

Lastly, the Covid stuff is a pain but we really didn’t find it that big of a deal. We just did our on-line test (Lucira) and will fly out this afternoon, spending a night in San Juan.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Conclusions from first Visit [Re: VTSailor] #281414
04/30/2022 10:05 AM
04/30/2022 10:05 AM
Pittsboro, NC, USA
CarolinaSailor Offline
Traveler
CarolinaSailor  Offline
Traveler
Pittsboro, NC, USA
Interested to hear your reviews on the different eateries you visited for dinner?

Re: Conclusions from first Visit [Re: CarolinaSailor] #281422
04/30/2022 10:25 AM
04/30/2022 10:25 AM
Vermont, USA
VTSailor Offline OP
Traveler
VTSailor  Offline OP
Traveler
Vermont, USA
Ok here goes:
Foxy Taboo 2 - Loved it. Surprisingly good food for such a low key atmosphere. Cheapest painkiller we found -$9 as I recall?
Pirates Bight - Also very good food. Good happy hour deal. Would eat there again no issue.
Ocean 7 - Closed and no sign of life.
North Sound Bistro - Obvious they are still working out the kinks but we can see they are making progress on both service and food. Very reasonable price and maybe just 10-15 other diners so can’t beat the atmosphere and view.
BEYC - Stopped for a drink. Great bartender but not really our kind of place (too formal) so moved on.
Saba - Ate at the bar upstairs. Thought the food was very good but a bit pricy (hey they have to cover that overhead somehow). Can’t beat the sunset there though.
Donovan’s Reef - Nice meal here, excellent service and a good selection of food. Prices reasonable.

Re: Conclusions from first Visit [Re: VTSailor] #281801
05/06/2022 01:23 PM
05/06/2022 01:23 PM
T
Tarheelnani Offline
Traveler
Tarheelnani  Offline
Traveler
T
Which restaurant at BEYC is too formal? Are there choices?

Re: Conclusions from first Visit [Re: VTSailor] #281816
05/07/2022 06:37 AM
05/07/2022 06:37 AM
Bay Area
H
Husker Offline
Traveler
Husker  Offline
Traveler
H
Bay Area
Standouts from our trip so far:
- Kelly's Anegada Tours - incredible snorkel on the reef off the east end of the island....$75pp, HIGHLY recommend.
- Saba Rock down stairs bar - best Mai Tai I've ever had....anywhere, anytime
- Indigo House, CGB - Had a wonderful lunch there. cute place, great view, nice people, cool/creative drinks, great food
- Lady Sarah's - Cute place for lunch in Road Town. Very popular with local professional crowd, by my observation, Near ferry dock one block off the main drag (#60 Main St.)