Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,952
Posts342,045
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 31
mahokid 30
RonDon 29
erb923 27
kim 18
Member Spotlight
the captain
the captain
the Long Island
Posts: 509
Joined: November 2015
Today's Birthdays
FrogtownRoadCat3
Who's Online Now
9 members (hokiesailor, Stevemech, Rumlover, psod, ncboater, GettingThere, rickl454, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#334073 04/22/2025 10:35 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 112
B
betsyg Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 112
Does anyone have information about this very interesting woman and "restaurant"? I have fond memories of a unique evening with her.

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,335
Likes: 1
C
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,335
Likes: 1
My ex-wife and I had a dinner at her restaurant/house back in the late 90's. I seem to remember her singing some hymns while cooking and serving us. It was certainly a unique experience.

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
We stopped there on our first trip to Tortola in 1984.Mrs S. gave us a hard time for not calling ahead so we never got to try her cuisine.I ran into a relative quite recently and they said there was talk of it reopening.I believe Mrs S passed away a few years ago.It would be great to get a good local place back in Carrot Bay..I miss Gene's (now in Sea Cow's Bay)and Palm's Delight. Coco Plums from Apple Bay was going to open there but ran into Gov problems..boy do I miss those skillet mushrooms!!

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
We got married on Long Bay Beach during our first trip ever to Tortola in 2005. Brought a bunch of friends as our wedding party. We found this place, Coco Plums, and decided to have our "rehearsal dinner" there. We must have had three orders of the skillet mushrooms! Years later, after Coco Plums had closed, there were still road signs for it nailed up on the trees around the area. One of them "fell" into our luggage and made the trip home to the US with us! I was going to take a picture of it to post here but, as I look across the room to where it was, I realize my now ex must have stolen it! haha Oh well, I know it exists and is safe for posterity with her. At least, somewhere I still have my Jolly Roger Inn and Bomba's t-shirts!

Last edited by Aries4; 04/24/2025 10:20 AM. Reason: added text
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Nothing like those skillet mushrooms..cant understand why someone else hasnt grabbed the recipe!! Same for the Palms Delight Ginger Wine Chicken..yes they may it at Da Coal Pot ( for more than twice the $$) but its not the same ....

Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 249
Likes: 10
D
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
D
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 249
Likes: 10
You are right, Malcolm. The ginger wine chicken at De Coal Pot is nothing like Palms Delight - not nearly as good.

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
"Duckfat"..you made it for us up here on Sonoma and it was just as good as Palm's Delight which makes me wonder why they cant replicate Iona's recipe just like you..


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5