Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,010
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 29
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Zanshin
Zanshin
Antigua
Posts: 2,734
Joined: March 2008
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
15 members (Computerwise, tomp, S/Y Mockingbird, Kennys, FFSXM, Islandercpl, Scostello, DaveinFL, calle313, KDE12603, SXMScubaman, nevar37, tangerine3, 2 invisible), 390 guests, and 116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#337912 08/27/2025 04:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
BVI - July 26-August 5, 2025


I slept so soundly that when I woke, I had to process exactly where I was LOL! Once I realized I was on the boat at Saba Rock….I quietly went up top with the help of the warm glow of nautical twilight. I know I say this a lot, but I do really enjoy this peaceful time of the morning. Curiously I have been the only one on many trips that does this and I am respectful of the other crews need to sleep in. I always just grab a water and sit quietly at the helm. My wife is usually not far behind and our daughter seems to be showing signs of this need to experience the promise of a new day in all its glory, I like this.


[Linked Image]




With a refreshing cool breeze filling our souls with sea air and a cup warming our palms we picked our perch to enjoy the colorful show.


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]



Other than the scorching walk around the Baths we had spent a long time on the boat, fyi the bottom of our feet recovered nicely. After a few chores we decided to have breakfast at Saba. With one pull the outboard started like there was never a problem!


[Linked Image]



It was a short choppy ride to the dock’s ladder, avoided getting too wet from the occasional bow splash. My hats off to the designers and craftsmen that rebuilt this special place after the devastating storms. But it was the vision of Bert Kilbride and the late Petr Kellner that made this an iconic sailors must visit destination. We heard several heartwarming stories about Mr. Kellner, he was so generous after the storms. He provided Virgin Gorda with an enormous amount of supplies and rebuilt homes for many families, literally from the ground up. Unfortunately, he was killed in a helicopter crash in Alaska’s back country shortly after the rebuilding in 2021. He was born just one year after me and it’s stories like his that reminds me of a bumper sticker I often see “One Life Live It”.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]



There were only a couple groups in the restaurant around 0900. The service and food were exceptional. My wife and daughter would say the Lobster Benedict wins the prize, but the traditional egg breakfast and refreshing fruit plate get honorable mentions!


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]



The Rock is different now, but in a positive way in my opinion. Same footprint of course, but the timber structure and details are beautiful. The thousands of feet of decking is gorgeous, not sure of the wood species but it looks similar to Ipe. The outdoor aquarium is still there and teaming with interesting local sea life. The shop is very nice and purchases were made, end of season discounts! An impressive change is the upstairs bar area, quite large.


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]



My favorite part of the resort is always kicking off the flip flops and walking barefoot in the cool grass area! Some resorts might make an area like this “guests only”, It would make me happy if it always remains accessible! Walk down to the beach with ample seating niches and hammocks is beautiful, the landscaping is lush and picture perfect.


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]



We walked off the substantial breakfast and returned to the boat to change into swimsuits. We then headed through the field and across the channel to the Bitter End Yacht Club. Everything I said about the Saba designers/craftsmen is the same here, beautiful! I’m not a fan of big changes for sake of change, but under the circumstances I feel that everything I saw was so well done and a positive change. Things are different, but much of the property brings back wonderful memories and felt familiar. We did find signs on the beach leading towards Saba that read “guests only’ we respected that. The trail to Biras is apparently permanently closed. The provisioning store is amazing, offered everything we would need and even had fresh baked goods. Let the pics speak for themselves….


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]




The beach area in front of the boat bar is really nice, loungers, tables, cornhole, cold drinks just a couple sandy steps away! It’s one marina area I don’t mind soaking in. The boat bar is a popular spot of course, “I love this bar, it’s my kinda place”! It was there we decided not to relocate the boat somewhere, the spot was perfect! They’ve added a large brick oven pizza joint, perfect! We had lunch at the bar consisting of pizzas, big salad and fish tacos, great service and the food was tasty!


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]




We were back on the boat around 1600, showered and then back to Saba for the tarpon feeding and happy hour. Upstairs offered buckets of 5 Caribs for $12….yes please! After watching the feeding from the upper deck and a couple buckets later we took a stroll and then back to the boat for dinner.


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]


It was an amazingly long and fun filled day, glad we stayed put. To be continued, Cheers!


[Linked Image]

Last edited by BEERMAN; 08/28/2025 09:01 AM.
2 members like this: Latadjust, zhawk
BVI Sponsors
.
BEERMAN #337978 08/30/2025 09:21 AM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 294
Likes: 2
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 294
Likes: 2
We used to love doing lunch at the Bitter End many years ago. They had what they called the Rum Grog Lunch. It was a big buffet and included their then famous Rum Grog. It was serve yourself for unlimited food and rum grog. Needless to say, after lunch everyone was feeling a little groggy!

1 member likes this: BEERMAN
BEERMAN #337981 08/30/2025 01:54 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 910
Likes: 4
C
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 910
Likes: 4
We are headed back to VG for two weeks in January and STJ this fall. Your reports are really getting me in the mood.

I either missed the tank at Saba two years ago or it wasn’t open yet. Our son LOVED the former tank when he was young.

Cleobeach #337985 08/30/2025 06:46 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
The tank is looking really good, lots of lobsters, reef fish and there was even a small shark of some kind, it hides in the rocks so I think what I saw was a juvenile nurse? We have never been in January, it must be an amazing month to be there!

BEERMAN #338020 09/01/2025 03:38 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 4
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 4
BEERMAN,
Fantastic report as always! Thanks for such great insight

1 member likes this: BEERMAN
BEERMAN #343765 02/09/2026 04:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 987
Likes: 1
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 987
Likes: 1
Hey Beerman,

Heading back down to BVI after a couple year hiatus and started cruising thru the forums for recent trip reports.
I was happy I found this one from back in August. Lots of good info. Thought I would pop it back to the top.

I'll be heading down in May on the same UA flight from IAD to STT eta 12:20 pm.
We have never been able to fit into the carry-on only thing, so will be hanging around the carousel waiting for our checked bags.

We are considering one of the private boat taxi services vs the "Fast Ferry" etc, to speed things up.
Wondering if you had given this option any thought?


Chuck W.

[Linked Image]
cwoody #343787 02/10/2026 10:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
We did look into Dolphin, IslandTime and Chillout. With just the 4 of us we decided to just take it easy and go with the normal flow, had time for a nice lunch at the Pump Room. We would consider it if we had 6-8 of us.

I can't remember the exact cost comparisons, but they were all about the same. Don't quote me but.....I think the private taxi can take you to your marina? If so, that's a big plus!

BEERMAN #343808 02/10/2026 03:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
I used Chill Out last summer. It was roughly $1000 each way for five of us and they do bring you right to your boat. They stop at West End first to check you in while you just hang out on the boat, then they drop you off wherever you need to go next.

1 member likes this: BEERMAN
Rhindley #343855 02/11/2026 03:58 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 987
Likes: 1
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 987
Likes: 1
Yep, I am seeing all are about the same $$. Checked Chillout, Dolphin, and Island Time .
About $120 p/p for the boat + $60 p/p customs + $25 p/p taxi to RedHook. $205 + Tip - One way ( This was based on 6 persons minimum)
A little more the 2X the cost of the ferry, but 1/2 the time? Drop off at marina dock would be nice!
Might have to give it a try.

Thanks gentlemen.

I now return control of this thread to Beerman. ( Maybe SHADOW 6 coming soon? )


Chuck W.

[Linked Image]
BEERMAN #343927 02/13/2026 03:12 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 174
Likes: 2
L
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
L
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 174
Likes: 2
I second the motion for Shadow 6
Very much enjoyed the trip reports and they help get the wheels turning to return!🏝⛵️

BEERMAN #344016 02/16/2026 11:47 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
We have been spending a lot of time in the snow at our WV cabin, when i return home I'll work on part 6. It's this time of year when my mind wanders to warmer places and travel planning starts! This has been a really really cold winter! Our friends recently asked to be included on our next charter, so hopefully we'll be returning to TMM this summer!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5