Hey all - just back from a fantastic week in the windy BVI. I took my two kids (age 5 and 9) and 5x adult family members that were charter first-timers. Kids punched their first ticket last year in the Exumas.
This was my first time chartering in more of the high season and wow was it windy and crowded. 20 knots most of the week with two days of 25+. Had to re-work the itinerary a bit so we weren't sailing to Anegada on those windier days. I was determined not to reserve a Boatyball all week, and managed to pull it off. Here's where we ended up each night.
1. Diamond Cay - FCFS ball 2. Benures Bay (Bight was full at 2:30) - FCFS ball 3. BEYC - anchored 4. Leverick - anchored 5. Pomato point - anchored 6. CGB - ball 7. Peter Island - slip
The only anchorage I didn't particularly care for was the one at BEYC since we were in 50 feet and it was pretty crowded at 2:30 when we arrived.
A few firsts...
As I mentioned in another thread, we rented a safari truck and did the Baths via land and it was really enjoyable day. VG has great views and it's really a fun drive. Those views at Hog Heaven alone are worth it.
I've always wanted to try Pomato Point and frankly it's unclear to me if that area is redlined, but I dont see why it should be. With how crowded Setting Point was (~75 boats), there was really no reason to try and get in there and anchor. I've also had a FCFS (non-boaty) ball fail on me in the Setting Point anchorage. The Pomato Point anchorage is easy to approach, has excellent holding, and has a lot of space. There were 6x boats with room for plenty more. We arranged a truck delivery from Dean, and later that evening dined at Sid's which was excellent. Great vibe, friendly staff, and the food was really really good. Downside is it's a beach landing, and we had a little bit of wind swell to deal with. Perhaps others can comment on how this is in different weather conditions. We had east winds of 18-20 knots and it was a little bit rolly.
I reserved a slip at Peter Island a couple weeks before the trip for our last evening. First time ever being on the dock during a charter and we also wanted to check out the new marina facilities. Beautiful setting and the facilities are really well done - perhaps they could use some more seating area at the pool. Crew enjoyed coming and going as they pleased. 30 min motor the next am back to Nanny Cay. We had planned to just grab some pizzas at the Drunken Pelican but I wasn't aware it was bbq buffet night and at $70/pp that added up quickly! A word of advice - be floating outside the channel entrance 20 or so mins before 1:00. I arrived right on time and had to wait for 4x boats which took over an hour and a half to get in.
JP - the day passes are included with the slip fee. For our Lagoon 50, it was $200...so cheaper than getting day passes and a mooring ball, for most crew sizes. Great value IMO and I'd stay at Peter again. Worth doing at least once if you haven't seen it yet.
Yikes re: STT. Worst airport in the country imo. Actually now that you brought it up, this was another first, using the EIS - Miami route. Worked fine on our way down. But then yesterday (not busy at all btw) when leaving, I neglected to check in until we were on the way to the airport, about 1.5 hours before the flight...you know how it is trying to get the boat back, fueled, and disembarked. Just completely forgot. Well I guess that put us at the bottom of the barrel for denied boarding. Of course there were south winds so the plane was weight restricted...We were onboard, they asked for 4x volunteers. Two people took the $1k vouchers. Then they came over to my family of 4 and said two of us had to get off. So my son and I had to get on later flight, but it was delayed, missed connection, overnight in crappy Miami airport hotel, and now we are currently on the flight back to Denver as I write this...Idk if anyone on here has experienced the same. But they handed me vouchers for voluntarily getting off the flight, which I refused. IDK if I'm fighting a losing battle but I've submitted complaints to both AA and the DOT. Gate agent refused to change it and AA customer service hung up on me twice.
The later flight we did take had 13 folks denied boarding. Departed 1.5 hours late because the captain still running the numbers or something...
Miami airport was a mess this morning for general security line. The Pre-check was open and only took us 15 minutes to get through.
Trying to kill some time on this flight, so here's one more. I went into White Bay early on Sunday morning. Probably 5 or 6 boats that overnighted there which surprised me. Plan was for a painkiller or two, lunch, and then hightail it before it got too crowded. Had 15-20 knots, increasing during the morning, gusting higher. Well, I probably missed that window to depart by about 30 mins. As I was sitting at Hendo's, a day boat went stern to right over my anchor chain. He knew he shouldn't have been there because he hailed us once when we got back aboard. His plan was to dive under his boat, manually pick up our chain, and place it where we could pick it up. I told him no chance and that he needed to move. He tried it anyway and found out how heavy a 50 ft cat's anchor and chain is. While attempting to move, difficult in that cross wind, he wrapped a smaller boats chain in his prop. A few good samaritans helped and finally got him untangled so he could move away. We were able to motor forward, pick up our anchor, and get out of there without incident. But definitely not the stress one goes searching for! I heard a power cat did the opposite a couple days later and fowled a stern to anchor. It's one thing if it's crowded and blowing 10 knots. A lot different in there at 20.
We've docked at the Peter Island marina many times in monohulls, with no problem. But one time we tried for a mooring ball further back in the bay, and our keel touched bottom. That was quite a few years ago, so I don't know if anything, such as the locations of the balls, might have changed.
We always fly through Beef Island, haven't had an issue. We generally avoid weekends, but my niece left on the early flight two weeks ago today, no problem. We would definitely consider a $1k voucher offer. Our house would still be open, and that would be another trip paid for!
Planes are taking off to the west today, so they may be weight restricted. One option would be to ask American to pay for a flight to San Juan and get you home from there.
You may have seen the photos of STT yesterday - the TSA line wound several blocks outside the terminal. Not for me!