TravelTalkOnline

Beach Reads?

Posted By: jerber160

Beach Reads? - 06/21/2015 02:53 PM

Last year I took Anthony C Winkler (God Carlos) and Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende. There's a Winkler book I haven't read yet ( Crocodile) I'm thinking of taking, and I'm looking for something else. I could raid my 'library' for stuff I haven't read in a while... or might go fall back on Count of Monte Cristo? so I'm wondering about your favorite beach reads...
Please, no pulp fiction.... My first Windjammer Captain used to make Danielle Steele jokes...they were always left behind...
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/21/2015 03:53 PM

Island Ice is a cute book about SXM
Posted By: EdB

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 01:57 AM

Was just telling someone recently that i used to know what people were reading at the beaches and around the pools by seeing the same titles over and over again. Nowaday's, everybody's noses are in their kindles, nooks, ipads, or tablets, and don't know what they are reading anymore!! Life in the 21st century!
Posted By: WWII

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 03:22 AM

I enjoy the Hiaasen books for vacation. I'm running out of titles though.
Posted By: Nudesailingchef

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 01:04 PM

I second Carl Hiaasen, anything by Robert Parker, and to get the appetite ready for the evening, anything by Peter Mayle.
Posted By: Marcheall

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 02:29 PM

The new (in paperback) Harlan Coben book "Missing You" is excellent. It's right up there with his best stuff.
Posted By: kim

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 03:04 PM

This past trip I went old school, read The Great Gatsby and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer also finished and old Jack Higgins novel A Toll for the Brave.
Posted By: january

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 05:32 PM

I read "The Little Engine That Could". It is a real cliff-hanger. The tension builds and builds to a exciting ending. I'll stop there because I don't want to give away anything.
Posted By: Ellen777

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 05:55 PM

Just finished "Keep Quiet" by Lisa Scottoline, could not put it down.

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/22/2015 08:53 PM

kim said:
This past trip I went old school, read The Great Gatsby and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer also finished and old Jack Higgins novel A Toll for the Brave.
I've been to the nude beach with Quasimodo. Beach reading is such serious business. I scored big last year!!! 2 terrific reads. oh the choices...
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/23/2015 02:30 AM

I have just read a few of Lisa Scottolines books and you are right Ellen, I cannot put it down.
Posted By: joyonthebeach

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/23/2015 03:04 AM

I give another vote for Carl Hiaasen. Start with Skinny Dip.

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/23/2015 10:09 AM

joyonthebeach said:
I give another vote for Carl Hiaasen. Start with Skinny Dip.
from goodreads.com " Skinny Dip is full of quirky characters (such as Tool, the bodyguard with a bullet lodged in the crack of his [censored] and a penchant for collecting roadside crosses" ... umm thanks but not my style.. which reminds me, does anyone have an opinion on Mario Puzo-specifically The Last Don?
Posted By: marge

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/23/2015 11:19 AM

If you want dark and deep...Dennis Lehanne. When I'm on vacation, I put away all the work related readings and go for the "beach trash". Mind numbing, but entertaining! Just what a vacation should be!
(Loved Skinny Dip. Hated the movie.)
Posted By: biglar

Re: Beach Reads? - 06/23/2015 09:36 PM

The Caribbean Gold series by Michael Reisig is fun to read, but not very challenging. Just the stuff I enjoy while on vacation in case I continually fall asleep.

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 03:20 AM

The books I ordered finally came. Anthony C Winkler's Crocodile and Arrival of the Snake Woman and other short stories from the Caribbean Writers series. they both look to be thin... I may have to find one more!
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 03:39 PM

Nelson DeMille is so entertaining. He has such a sense of humor. Start with Gold Coast, my favorite. I don't think his newest are as good, he has been around a long time, but my husband still thinks they're great.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 04:53 PM

Plum Island, my all time favorite DeMille!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 05:27 PM

I also really enjoyed The General's Daughter, from DeMille.

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 06:12 PM

oh well.. it's down to the wire and too late to buy anything.. I DID email the island to ask where the bookstores are but got no response..... I'm guessing there's one in philipsburg. (got to keep to the dutch side as the other side will sell books written in french, no? at least they used to!) HOWEVER I could use some new ties too and the french side is good for that so I'm open to suggestions... but they have to be short -people ties... a concept I had trouble getting across the last time I tie-shopped on sxm.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 07:39 PM

I second both Gold Coast and Plum Island. Great reads!
Posted By: kim

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 07:59 PM

irish1223 said:
I second both Gold Coast and Plum Island. Great reads!

I enjoy all the John Corey books, but they are getting very predictable. Just finished reading Radiant Angel
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 09:34 PM

jerber160 said:
oh well.. it's down to the wire and too late to buy anything.. I DID email the island to ask where the bookstores are but got no response..... I'm guessing there's one in philipsburg. (got to keep to the dutch side as the other side will sell books written in french, no? at least they used to!) HOWEVER I could use some new ties too and the french side is good for that so I'm open to suggestions... but they have to be short -people ties... a concept I had trouble getting across the last time I tie-shopped on sxm.

How about Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or any reading device? I have not read a paper book in years.
Posted By: Sungoddess

Re: Beach Reads? - 07/01/2015 10:01 PM

The Gold Coast was one of the only books that I've read more than once...I love DeMille and I love his character John, he's so sarcastic...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline