TravelTalkOnline

Liat pulling out of Beef?

Posted By: captmonk

Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/20/2015 07:10 PM

Has anyone heard any thing about this?
Posted By: salica

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/20/2015 08:31 PM

Have flights booked and paid for in May, dealt directly with LIAT. Hope it's just a rumour. They have their issues but with no real alternative to major Caribbean hubs, they are needed. Where did you hear this from?
Posted By: LianeLeTendre

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/20/2015 10:04 PM

I haven't heard anything and I don't know anything definitively, but I would be very surprised indeed if there was anything to it. Back in August, Liat announced that the BVI route was among their most profitable.

See Liat story

If they did pull out, it would be a disaster for the BVI as there are no other major airlines left that fly here.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/20/2015 10:49 PM

With American out of that route and what I see for fares I would be very surprised if it's not a solid route for them. The unknown is how much EIS is charging per passenger to pay off the terminal. I know the departure tax alone is 40.00 per person.
G
Posted By: salica

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 07:44 AM

Am intrigued by Captmonk's posting and waiting to hear further from him. Presumably he heard something re LIAT?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 08:08 AM

I just bought tickets yesterday and would have to concur that the route into and out of EIS is profitable indeed. I paid just a bit less for the ANU-EIS flight on LIAT than I did for the ticket across the Atlantic!
Posted By: captmonk

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 02:12 PM

Nothing direct from LIAT. Just a rumor I heard circulating at the SXM boat show. We have a lot of families that travel to us from the UK so just trying to see what I can find out before the summer.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 02:27 PM

I'll bet Cape Air hired some ex American Eagle employees for the ground crew and that's why the service went south.
Posted By: windward2c

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 02:44 PM

Not to kick the hornets nest BUT what is the latest and greatest on the airport runway extension debacle???
Posted By: LianeLeTendre

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 06:17 PM

windward2c said:
Not to kick the hornets nest BUT what is the latest and greatest on the airport runway extension debacle???

The "latest" I heard was that by year end, "someone" (a company presumably) would be selected to get the project underway.

Platinum article - September 8

The crux of the matter is:

Prior to the comments by Dr. Pickering, Premier and Finance Minister, Hon. Dr. Orlando Smith on July 16 said though [color:"red"]they have not yet
determined the source of financing for the project
[/color], a special committee has been set up to determine how the project is to move
forward. He told reporters they are also yet to determine how it will be handled, whether solely by government or a public/private
partnership endeavour.

The government has been remarkably quiet on the topic since then.
Posted By: pl3

Re: Liat pulling out of Beef? - 12/21/2015 09:47 PM

On Nantucket, Island Air just went belly up.
Cape is adding flights.
Will some of the twins they send south be affected?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline