Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Will_L
Traveler

Loc: Ill, USA
Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: Lakegirl480]
      #1704706 - 08/07/16 11:50 AM (67.45.113.216)

Quote:

Lakegirl480 said:
There was a water maker on board.
We hired the chef from the company and provisioned our own boat to our liking. We specified the sepa
Quote:

Lakegirl480 said:
There was a water maker on board.
We hired the chef from the company and provisioned our own boat to our liking. We specified the separated meat but also requested to cook the packed meat to match whatever the meat of the day was. For instance, if
the group was having chicken then it was requested to thaw the transported chicken to accompany it. We asked for no separate meal prep
cooking style. Pork chops,ribs,bacon,chicken,summer sausage,regular sausage,butter and milk were packed and asked to be used in tandem with the group meals. No extra effort on the chefs part.

See this is where I think thinks went badly not just with chef but perhaps your other couples. This makes it sound like the food was there to be used by the group, which is the only way I've ever seen things done on a group charter. Somebody brings steaks,lsomebody cured bacon whatever..but to be used for a group meal. That is no problem I'm sure.

But in original post you said.
"
"Two of us had packed our meat from the United States and it was conveyed to the chef to keep our portions separate and explained how we wished our meals to be prepared."

"The last two days of the trip the two guests who packed their meat wound up feeding the entire boat,crew included,their meat portions. The chef even threw two steaks overboard saying they were soured. This was a lie because we checked the frozen meats each day to make sure they were staying frozen. There was 30 pounds of meat frozen. It is unacceptable that the two persons who transported the meat did not have meat with each meal as they requested. Friday the chef cooked more meat than could be consumed.
Needless to say this seemingly small inconveniences ruined the majority of our trip."

You see the indication was those items brought were to be cooked separately for two couples. That is just unusual and putting out a meal for 8 on a boat is tough enough without trying to be sure these 4 people get this and the other 4 don't. Is it possible that this aggravation at having to share these provisions or not wanting to share was at the center of some of the hard feelings?

If chartering a boat from the charter co we were with and you paid a per diem for a skipper and a cook, you were responsible for providing for their food as well. Now fully crewed charters including food are different.

Anyway I think I would advise couples chartering together have several discussions about what they are going to do. They should understand even on a nice vessel in some ways they are "camping on the water". Things will often go wrong, genset or Ac breakdown..a head malfunction. Shower sump get clogged. Stuff happens. It is not like a resort stay, though the captain and company should do everything possible to make your trip everything they can.
I would also advise using the same plan we all learned in school when they take your candy away. "If you don't bring enough for everybody, don't bring any. ".
I would be as uncomfortable as bringing a dish to a picnic or a church supper and telling the kitchen crew.."this is only for these two couples"

It seems you were on a hybrid between bareboat and crewed charter and it did not work out. Maybe a real crewed charter or just the two couples that wanted to bring food would work better. Not trying to change your mind but if others reading and expecting nothing to go wrong on a charter to reconsider that type of vacation. . I also would encourage people to share and share alike on provisioning the boat. If bring stuff you like, bring enough for everyone. Anyway hope you all get back as friends. Life is way to short to let little things like how hot the water is or who didn't get what at the dinner table to ruin friendships.

I'm sorry for your angst but brought a smile to my face thinking about the late Bill Hartzman's description of some of his charters gone bad years ago on TTOL.. Sail on Bill H .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mdsmurph
Traveler

Loc: Tyler, TX
      #1704712 - 08/07/16 12:24 PM (74.196.235.114)

Wow, the worst part is your loss of your friendships! I think BVI charters may not be for your group. The bright side is that your A/c worked the whole trip. Next time you may want to try a cruise... Cheaper, with all the amenities. Fair winds to you guys.

StormJib
Traveler

Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: Mdsmurph]
      #1704714 - 08/07/16 12:43 PM (50.191.95.8)

Quote:

Mdsmurph said:
Wow, the worst part is your loss of your friendships! I think BVI charters may not be for your group. The bright side is that your A/c worked the whole trip. Next time you may want to try a cruise... Cheaper, with all the amenities. Fair winds to you guys.

Yep! Today when the AC or potty does not work on a cruise ship CNN runs with the story 24/7. Where is Clint Eastwood when you need him.

Let me summarize. A "new" Lagoon 52 with AC, Watermaker, Five (5) Electric Flush Thrones, a crew of two, an extra private container with 30lbs of meat and at least 5lbs pounds of bacon... fouled by +/- engine room temperature water in June?

According to the writer two experience captains working in tandem on two different boats reached agreement on at least some of the issues before the boats even left the dock. The shore manager dispatch a boat to the situation and reached the same conclusion later in the charter. Maybe Burger King and "Have it Your Way".

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
      #1704735 - 08/07/16 04:15 PM (64.222.90.133)

I still don't understand the lack of hot water. Unless it is as George said and the valves were turned off or something - running the engine should give plenty of hot water. And a boat that size should have two water heaters - I'd think at least one would have been working.

I'm also surprised friendships would be damaged over this - Kind of makes me wonder how good the friendship really was? Even no A/C shouldn't ruin any friendships and for anyone that prefers it, a night without A/C is a lot longer then a quick shower.

And I guess I also don't understand the whole meat issue. Since any food on the boat had to be purchased, why not just have purchased the meat for everyone to use AND pay for? Seems that would have made life easier for the chef and maybe avoided problems there.

End of the day, having done well over a dozen charters with a variety of groups, there's one very simple thing I've learned. You simply don't charter with people who aren't flexible. When on a boat, you need to go with the flow and know things aren't always going to be perfect.

And if you do want to do a charter with chef and captain, a crewed boat is probably a better choice then a bareboat with hired captain and cook.

--------------------
Matt

beerMe
Traveler

Loc: Memphis, TN
      #1704736 - 08/07/16 04:23 PM (99.1.42.234)

I can see how you'd be disappointed and I'm really sorry things went badly for you guys. It won't help you but at least you let CatCo know about your experiences with the captain and the cook. I can't imagine why the captain would not run an engine for hot water in the evening. I sense the cook had his own ideas of what he was going to do - he just wasn't prepared to tell you his plan. In both cases that would be "no tip for you"! Of course, if either had a reasonable explanation for their actions, I'd be willing to accept that and move on.

For those interested in as near a perfect trip as possible hire a full time crew and boat - if they can't keep everyone happy no one can.

It's all about expectations and nobody prepares the uninitiated for the downsides of paradise; things like oppressive heat at the dock, sunburn, mosquitos, no-see-ums, flies, jelly fish, sea sickness, rain, rough weather, lightening & thunder, breakdowns, crew incompatibility and having to obey a command or do some work from time to time.

--------------------
Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!

LocalSailor
Traveler

Loc: USVI
Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: beerMe]
      #1704750 - 08/07/16 09:52 PM (65.113.105.198)

Quote:

beerMe said:

For those interested in as near a perfect trip as possible hire a full time crew and boat - if they can't keep everyone happy no one can.

I have been Captain and previously a chef and a mate on full time crewed Charter boats - It was some of the easiest and hardest weeks of my career - totally depending on the guests expectations and attitudes and occasionally alcohol consumption.

GTcapt
Traveler

Loc: Cumming, GA
      #1704756 - 08/08/16 08:01 AM (108.77.24.25)

We had the spare cabin you were welcome too. It had very hot water.

RickBlaine
Traveler

Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: GTcapt]
      #1704761 - 08/08/16 09:40 AM (63.241.111.230)

Quote:

GTcapt said:
We had the spare cabin you were welcome too. It had very hot water.

And the plot thickens...

In all seriousness, I'm sad that this group had such a bad experience. I wonder how they found this particular boat/crew and how much research went in to finding them.

Edited by RickBlaine (08/08/16 09:41 AM)

GTcapt
Traveler

Loc: Cumming, GA
Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: RickBlaine]
      #1704762 - 08/08/16 09:57 AM (108.77.24.25)

Rick, I know these folks. They are all on my dock. We were there at the same time but we bare boated as I have done for 15 trips. All the folks on Lakegirls charter are VERY experienced boaters and all own very nice power boats. They paid to have relaxing fun and it didn't seem to fully work out that way. Their expectations were not unrealistic just under delivered.

JasonHelmbrecht
Traveler

Loc: Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: GTcapt]
      #1704765 - 08/08/16 11:59 AM (64.134.190.191)

I surprise the cook would even consider using meat the he/she didn't purchase themselves. They are putting the quality of their final product in jeopardy by not selecting the meat themselves.

And imagine if some of that meat was bad. It would have still been considered the cooks fault even though it was provided to them.

All in all, those 2 issues are both minor and if those were the only problems I would have considered it pretty successful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 27707

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL