Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1
AquaGirl
Traveler

Loc: Virginia suburbs of DC
Would you fly to Florida on Thurs?
      #1706651 - 08/30/16 08:44 PM (100.36.132.84)

I enjoy reading the posts from the weather-knowledgable forumites, so I thought I would ask this question. I am booked on a flight from Wash DC to Ft Myers on Thurs afternoon, then driving to Venice. Flight is 1:20 - 4pm.

I have been looking at a bunch of weather sites. It looks like the Venice to Ft Myers area may have quite a bit of wind and rain, but is likely south of the 99's path.

My concerns about flying on Thurs:
- I will probably be flying by the storm, hopefully well to the east, but concerned about a lot of turbulence, or getting diverted somewhere if the storm is worse than currently predicted.
- My aging parents are coming to pick me up. If the flight is delayed, it will be very late for them coming to pick me up. If the rain is as currently predicted, they could be driving to Ft Myers in pouring rain, which is a concern.

I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and reschedule my flight for Fri or Sat. Seems like the risk of a delayed or diverted flight could be high, especially if the storm strengthens.

Any input is welcome!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Would you fly to Florida on Thurs? [Re: AquaGirl]
      #1706654 - 08/30/16 08:52 PM (70.193.216.35)

If you can (without any penalty), I would just go ahead and reschedule to Friday or Saturday. I really don't think it's going to be a huge deal here, but that's what I would do. If you have to pay to reschedule, maybe not, but since you're talking about aging parents, maybe...

RickinAtlanta
Traveler

Loc: Woodstock, GA
      #1706658 - 08/30/16 09:22 PM (50.160.236.10)

If you're willing to pay a re-booking fee can you simply have a car/limo pick you up?

AquaGirl
Traveler

Loc: Virginia suburbs of DC
Re: Would you fly to Florida on Thurs? [Re: RickinAtlanta]
      #1706712 - 08/31/16 03:54 PM (100.36.132.84)

Thanks for the responses! I probably shouldn't have posted, since I ultimately went with my gut feeling. I talked to Jet Blue this morning, but they were only waiving the change fee for flights to Tampa, Gainesville, etc. I decided to rebook to Sat for a variety of reasons, especially concern for my parents driving to Ft Myers in bad weather.

Jet Blue charged a change fee of $80, plus the difference in the ticket price. I suppose it could have been worse.

If AA would bring back the non-stop morning flight to Sarasota all year around, I would be happy. Its a former USAIR route and closer to Venice, FL.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1706734 - 08/31/16 06:24 PM (70.193.246.141)

Glad you resolved your situation. Probably for the best.

For future planning, don't beat me about the head and shoulders, but you could possibly check out Allegiant. They fly into PIE. It's kind of a culture shock to fly into and out of those dinky airports, but it feels kind of good sometimes to be only the SECOND one in the security line! They fly into several other airports in Florida also. If you have a strong constitution for seeing an impossibly low initial fare, and then bunches of add-on's, you could try it!

HillsideView
Traveler

Loc: Ya never know...
Re: Would you fly to Florida on Thurs? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1706755 - 08/31/16 10:03 PM (70.192.79.235)

Allegiant serves a few small airports in NY/NJ area. Some good deals to be had if you play it right. Once heard someone say "they keep their fares down by only having the airport firetrucks come out when they see really,really big flames" Seriously,they have a good record and if you can stay away from the add-ons, can be a bargain. Frontier too.

--------------------
My foot fits right into my shoe and my shoe will fit right into your...

GeorgeC1
Traveler

Loc: GA/NC
Re: Would you fly to Florida on Thurs? [Re: HillsideView]
      #1706773 - 09/01/16 09:01 AM (108.213.0.118)

Allegiant has a good record? Google can be your friend. Their rate of major maintenance issues, diversions and canceled flights is eye watering.
G

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Would you fly to Florida on Thurs? [Re: GeorgeC1]
      #1706780 - 09/01/16 09:13 AM (47.192.4.13)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.. We have flown them twice and so far, have been lucky with basically on-time flights.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 1425

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL