Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
captmoby
Traveler

Loc: Kansas
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: pbmonk]
      #1735372 - 06/14/17 05:30 AM (70.169.125.48)

You are probably less likely to have a problem at the dock at Cooper than most anywhere else.

--------------------
Jim
Sailmoby

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NCSailor
Traveler

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: captmoby]
      #1735373 - 06/14/17 06:18 AM (108.77.186.12)

The Moorings doesn't provide locks unless you ask. If you check a busy dinghy dock anywhere in the BVI less than 10% of the dinghys are locked. There was a rash a dinghy thefts a few years ago in Trellis Bay. I don't recall hearing about any since then.

Maria_and_Steve
Traveler

Loc: Colorado and Sailing the World
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: NCSailor]
      #1735376 - 06/14/17 08:35 AM (94.74.228.156)

If you would like to see the Caribbean theft reports, this is the website: https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com

Call_me_Ishmael
Traveler

Loc: NB, Canada
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: NCSailor]
      #1735383 - 06/14/17 10:20 AM (72.143.26.42)

I've noticed that actual theft is pretty random and fairly rare. Nobody locks their dinghy for months and then all of a sudden one bad actor goes on a crime spree. Until they are caught ppl who are in the know (ie local) all lock their dinghys. A bigger problem is very drunk customers boarding your dinghy and borrowing it for a lift home at places like Foxys NYE or the Willie T.

My company had a very expensive RIB stolen in SXM a few years back and the local cops (who are spectacularly unhelpful) blamed it on organized crime or crooks from off island and did absolutely nothing to help. So don't expect much help if you are unlucky enough to lose your dinghy - I think this is a good reason to lock it up, since a charterer doesn't a prayer of getting it back if it is lost.

You don't have to be the most secure dinghy on the dock, but it helps if you are more secure than the guy beside you. I always take the key (or rather the hair band) when leaving to discourage drunk hop-ons at Foxy's, and lock the whole thing if I'm going far away or if my dinghy is one of the nicer ones on the dock. Most charter dinghys aren't worth stealing, but if you've got something longer that 10ft with more that 10hp it is worth taking the time so lock it.

Now if I could only find a way to keep confused drunk people from sleeping in my dinghy I would be all set.

UncleLuff
Traveler

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: Call_me_Ishmael]
      #1735387 - 06/14/17 11:04 AM (198.103.167.20)

The link below should take you to the BVI report.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/the-virgins-the-us-virgins-and-the-british-virgins/

Out of all the thousands of charters there have been 11 reported thefts of dinghies/outboards since 2006 in the BVIs (4of these happened same date, time, location in West end in 2007) All of the dinghies that were stolen were not locked.

The last reported dinghy theft was in 2014 in Cane Garden bay where two dinghies were stolen.

Low probability of having your dinghy stolen. But easy control to implement. At the end of the day ask the charter company what they recommend.

Edited by UncleLuff (06/14/17 11:05 AM)

Whitesail
Traveler

Loc: Texas
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: maytrix]
      #1735434 - 06/14/17 05:20 PM (99.120.218.55)

Quote:

maytrix said:
End of the day, I think its really simple. Dinghy's have been stolen before. So is the 2 minutes it will take to lock it up more of a hassle then what you'll deal with if it is stolen? It's also probably worth checking to see what your liability is if it is stolen.

BVIYC has provided a cable and lock. They encourage you to lock the dingy at night and at a dock. I lock it at a dock to keep the drunks from taking the wrong dingy.

Wheels up next Wednesday.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

ggffrr11
Traveler

Loc: OU Sooner
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: Whitesail]
      #1735473 - 06/15/17 08:51 AM (40.132.87.34)

Its pretty embarrassing when you have accidentally taken the wrong dinghy at night. This gets compounded when the owner comes to your boat later that evening. It gets even worse when your first mate accuses him of being "drunk" and tells him to leave before he kicks his butt. Then, it doesn't help matters when the owner shines a light on the dinghy you accidentally took and it has his private boat's full name in 10" stencil across both sides of the inflatable. Life just doesn't get much better than that.

Since then, we tie a 3' foot piece of orange climbing webbing on the bow of our dinghy so that even we don't have any identification issues.

rita_irvine
Traveler

Loc: Here and There
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: ggffrr11]
      #1735489 - 06/15/17 11:22 AM (50.135.93.22)

Many moons ago we chartered from Conch. The dinghy was an old fiberglass POS. We asked well in advance to upgrade to a RIB but they would not do it even though when we got there they had several on the dock not in use.. We arranged to rent a RIB from another vendor. When we went to pick it up it was a great dingy but the engine had a skull and cross bones and Stone Cold Steve Austin crap painted all over it. The story was that the engine was brand new delivered in the crate late in the day to his dock. He left it overnight and when he got back the next day it was gone. He found it (through the grapevine) but the thief thought he could camo it by painting shit all over it. We had the coolest engine, no mistaking it on the dock and it ran like a champ!!

--------------------
Rita
It is better to be happy than it is to be right
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Maria_and_Steve
Traveler

Loc: Colorado and Sailing the World
Re: Dinghy locking poll /theft reports [Re: rita_irvine]
      #1735809 - 06/18/17 10:52 AM (46.193.134.141)

Sorry, it looks like the Caribbean Safety and Security Net's URL has changed to: https://safetyandsecuritynet.org

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4320

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL