Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Cancun - Isla Mujeres - Mexico

Pages: 1
BeachKitten
Traveler

Loc: Maryland/DC Metro
Seeking alternative to St Maarten this year :(
      #1747391 - 09/23/17 06:40 PM (96.231.206.165)

It appears other Caribbean islands and the Keys are out this year. Too much hurricane damage.

Mexico has never particularly appealed to us, though perhaps I should give it another look. I just don't want over commercialized and overbuilt like Cancun. Cheap or spring break type vibe is out as well.

Is there anyplace on either coast (must be a beach) that has a chill perhaps upscale vibe? Not looking for cheap (possibly tainted according to the news) alcohol. I like beach chair service, and GOOD FOOD. Activities and perhaps a tour or two nearby. Shopping is ALWAYS a plus. ;)

Is there a locale in Mexico that fits this bill? I explored Costa Rico, but RCI didn't have anything near the beach. Closest was a 2 hour drive.

Thank you!

--------------------
"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" ;)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Seeking alternative to St Maarten this year :( [Re: BeachKitten]
      #1747399 - 09/23/17 10:18 PM (75.133.113.202)

Leona,

We stayed for a week at the Club Regina in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had an upper unit overlooking the beach with our own hot tub on the balcony. Did not rent a car and used the local taxi services. Booked a few tours through the hotel concierge desk and they were all fun. Did one day if shopping in town which was way too much for me. It was a fun week but nothing that we would rate over St. Maarten, unless SXM wasn't available.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

SMC_Irish_68
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
      #1747410 - 09/24/17 09:29 AM (76.123.42.199)

I recommend staying on Isla Mujeres which is just off of Cancun. Here's some reasons why:
- Safe!
- It's easy to reach via air-conditioned ferry. We book a private airport to ferry transport online (very reasonable price).
- Lodging options are excellent: condos right on North Beach; luxury resorts; casas that can be rented from homeaway.com or vrbo.com; small boutique hotel like Casa de los Suenos, etc.
- No rental cars: visitors use the inexpensive taxis or rent golf carts by the day or the week (we rented by the week)
- Restaurants and shopping: Excellent!
- Day trips: You can book day trips for snorkeling, diving, etc.

There are also numerous large resorts all along the Maya Riviera which extends from Cancun to Tulum if you prefer the resort atmosphere. If you did decide to stay at one, I recommend booking a day trip to one of the Mayan ruins and also to a cenote.

Karen

cruzer
Traveler

Loc: Central Coast, CA
      #1747431 - 09/24/17 04:37 PM (99.108.167.12)

Having gone through what you're trying to do, I settled on Isla Holbox, off the northern Yucatan Peninsula, about a 2 1/2 hour ride away from CUN, and also requiring a ferry crossing, and golf cart taxi to your hotel. Ironically, it'll take us as long to get from the left coast to either here or SXM, because of the 3rd leg via car service.

This place seems really laid back, and any activity off the island is a good 2 hours away by car. Looks to have many fine restaurants, and rooms run the gamut from $20 well over $500. Plenty of nice accommodations. Seems most people go for the few activities--especially whale shark trips, but the season is now over--reading, swimming, sunning, eating, and drinking

No building is over 3 stories tall, and the roads are hard packed sand. If you really want to kick back, this just might be the place.

I did have to spend many hours a day for 3 days to finally convince myself I really wanted this island as my SXM alternative.

BeachKitten
Traveler

Loc: Maryland/DC Metro
Re: Seeking alternative to St Maarten this year :( [Re: pat]
      #1748264 - 09/30/17 03:37 PM (96.231.206.165)

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are ending up going to Mazatlan. Spectacular sunsets, and supposedly good food choices. The "Pearl of the Pacific" and looking forward to exploring the Golden Zone.

I did NOT want all-inclusive, so where we are staying has a kitchen and the option of AI. Now hope we can find a grocery store!

--------------------
"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" ;)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 639

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline