RonDon 40
Zanshin 36
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (mark37, KirkB, Halcyon, fabila, BillDauterive, jbutah, road3682, CaribbeanCanadians, MACC60, PML, Don_and_Linda, bostonbob, isleofpalms, 11 invisible), 1,006 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
5 hours ago Below Deck [by The_Lurker]
Below Deck was filming at Mullet a couple of days ago.
I was amazed at how many people like that show. I have almost 600 likes
on the picture I posted!
It will be nice to catch it when it’s on tv. I hear SXM is a favorite spot for filming
the series.

Orange Fever was great yesterday. Water and food.
We split a goat cheese and honey pizza.

Went to Izi last night . It was quiet and things were a little different with price
and portion. The waiters were very nice and we probably gave
the biggest tip there, because of that.

This morning we relaxed with delicious coffee and pastry at la Sucriere.
Beautiful day.

And Carol, Saba is trying to peak out.
Dust seems to be gone!!
9 3 274 Read More
5 hours ago new hotel next to BSV [by RonDon]
Does anyone know the name of the hotel next to BSV?
2 262 Read More
8 hours ago What's up with AA frequent flyer miles? [by ggffrr11]
Heh, what's going on with AA frequent flyer miles/points? Back in the days, when I had to walk to school up hill both ways in the snow, I could use the AA points to send my whole crew roundtrip to the BVI.

AA use to post your "last month" mile earnings on around the tenth of each month. Now, it's the end of the April, and still no postings for March. I'm thinking about switching over to a Basspro credit card. At least, I get a free towel when I sign up.
6 225 Read More
12 hours ago Trip Report 4.26.24 [by cruzer]
Our day started Tuesday with the 1:30am arrival of our car to deliver us to DFW. We arrived at 3 for our 5 am flight and I had the opportunity to scarf down a plate or two of bacon in the Admirals Club before boarding our flight. Mrs. Cruzer, who developed a blood pressure issue during our last trip to SXM and so was off caffeine, had what she declared to be an excellent cup of decaf. A good start.

The trip was uneventful, even the meals served on board. The decaf seemed to be instant. We arrived around 1:15, were the only line outside immigration though the inside lines wound back to the door. The walk to immigration, threading our way through the line, and collecting our bags took about an hour—a normal amount of time prior to Irma.

Getting our rental car from Safari, driving to Grand Case, picking up essentials at the market—Presidente, mineral water, and cat food-- took another hour. But we arrived at Grand Case Beach Club around 3:15—our home for the next 23 nights.
The town is busy and it seems to me that we’re still in high season. The hotel’s parking lot is full, and they now give us placards to keep on the dash indicating we’re guests. The public parking lot in town was full last night, as was the “overflow” lot, and plenty of cars parked on the road back to the airport road. I’m glad we walked from GCBC.

Wednesday, we picked up supplies at SuperU, and some great cheeses at Bacchus. Lunched at Le Taitu. I had the veal Milanese which had a nice sized cutlet. I forgot what Mrs. C had and it’s unhealthy for me to ask her at 2:00 am as I’m writing this. We filled up another 10-punch card so one of our lunches was free.

Tonight, we ate at Le Bistronome. We started with their complimentary champagne, an appetizer of the excellent carpaccio of tuna and wahoo in a Tahitian dressing, followed by the mains of a nicely sauced shrimp and rigatoni and a lobster in a puff pastry shell. Dessert was a chocolate and pistachio fudge and 2 cups of decaf cappuccino, finishing with the infused rum. This was one of the better meals we’ve had on the island, and put me in the proper frame of mind to enjoy the next three weeks.
The water is warm for this time of the year 82/83 degrees. Yesterday afternoon the pool was way up there, perhaps 88 or so (I didn’t have my nerdy Thermo-pen with me at the pool). We had a bit of Sahara dust upon arrival and on Wednesday, but it seems to have dissipated a bit. Still, sunsets are a bust so far.

The cats are fine, the hotel staff is great, and the bar staff is taking good care of me. I’m still sleeping in shifts, but really enjoying sitting out by the water in the wee hours of the morning when the hotel is quiet.

I haven’t taken too many pictures so far, and so the selection is limited. Among them: a sunset off our deck prior to our flight; a great looking in-flight breakfast whose flavor didn’t match; a sunrise from 30k+ feet somewhere between DFW and CLT; Picasso and Pablo; my lobster in a pastry shell at Bistronome.

Life is good.
6 3 427 Read More
04/24/2024 09:10 PM Recommendations for Week Long Captained Charter [by Kelly H]
Hi!

I’m new here, so please forgive me if I’m going about this the wrong way…I did do a quick search but didn’t find what I was looking for—perhaps I’m searching incorrectly smile

I’m in the beginning stages of planning a week long, island hopping trip in the BVIs for early next March 2025. We are a family of 5, kids in early 20s. I’ve looked at The Moorings as well as Sunsail, but would prefer to support a small business. Can anyone provide any recommendations for where I should be looking?

Thank you very much!
Kelly
11 592 Read More
04/24/2024 06:43 PM More load shedding today [by SXMScubaman]
Public Notice,
*Load Shedding Notice*
Attention all residents, due to generation issues at our power plant, we regret to inform you that we will be implementing load shedding today. Please be advised that certain areas will experience power outages for approximately 60 minutes.
We understand the inconvenience this may cause and assure you that our team is working diligently to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your understanding.
10 795 Read More
04/24/2024 11:25 AM Fat Tony’s [by The_Lurker]
We decided to go to Fat Tony’s, after Marti Gras was
canceled.
It started out so quiet, until the bus with the Canadians (NS)
pulled up. Fun night! The steel band was great! Love the songs.

At Mullet, we watched a cruise ship come in at around noon.
First time for everything.

Beautiful day! Except for this fog of dust 😕
5 14 987 Read More
04/23/2024 09:58 PM Carnival [by CathyandDanny]
We are currently on the island, staying on the Dutch side. It has been alot of years since we were here in late April. We would love to see the Carnival parade again. Where and when do we see it? Other tips and info about what we shouldn't miss is appreciated!!
3 498 Read More
04/23/2024 03:05 PM Final Mardis de Grand Case tonight [by Carol_Hill]
Link

Final one for this year. If you haven't been there, it's a neat time!
4 456 Read More
04/23/2024 01:27 PM Orient Beach Walk Video [by TJTrippe]
https://youtu.be/P7rcaBqckVs?si=0jcRKhrcVk5ayEdI

I think someone could make some YouTube/patreon money doing walks on Orient Beach each days as well as other places on island.

This video starts with a drive through a roundabout and turning into Orient Village and then a walk up and back the beach,
2 734 Read More