pat 35
RonDon 35
Member Spotlight
Virginia & Charleston, SC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Brighteyes, dougieh, my7kidz, wolverine2007
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 32 guests, and 137 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
7 hours ago Free SXM Strong dish [by SXMNorm]
If you donate $75. -$200. to The "All About A Smile" St Maarten Charity, I will send you a fused glass dish with SXM Strong, the Island, and Sept 6, 2017 on it. $75. gets a dish from group A. $125, gets your choice from Group A or B. $200. donation gets your choice from any group. Free shipping in The States. Message me for complete details.
3 0 97 Read More
Yesterday at 08:18 PM Flights and Ferries [by NGAWolf]
We are doing our 7th catamaran charter May 19-27. We are chartering Scuba Doo a Lagoon 450 from TMM this time. It's our first time with TMM, but I see great reviews. We are doing a sleepaboard Saturday night and hope to get off the dock before noon the first day. Our desired Sunday night destination is Jost. Thinking Jost, CGB, Scrub, Anegada, North Sound, Cooper, Norman if the wind blows our way. I have 2 questions for the board. 1: We might have one couple join us on Sunday. They don't know their flight schedule. They both work for AA and plan to get on the first flight they can. If their flights arrive to STT after noon, can they ferry to Jost to meet us? I see that the old STT to Jost ferry schedule seems to be down, but how much a pain would it be to do Roadtown and then taxi to West End for the Jost ferry? Or does AA code share with someone so we can pick them up at Beef? 2nd question: We depart on Sunday. My normal schedule is to be the first on the fuel dock, check out, then pack and shower and get a noon ferry for a 3:30 flight. My flight home from STT this time is at 2:30. Will a noon ferry cut it too close? The only other options I currently see are 9AM ferry's Any suggestions? Thanks
2 151 Read More
Yesterday at 07:07 PM Pinel Island Back In Business video [by dmwieser]
Posted one week ago by Sotheby's St. Martin- looking great!!!
1 261 Read More
Yesterday at 06:51 PM Digital Image of New Kontiki Orient Beach [by dmwieser]
Lets hope they get these orient beach projects off the ground soon!!!
1 3 361 Read More
Yesterday at 04:07 PM STT / STJ Visit - 2/28-3/5 [by RickG]
Sweet Christine and I stayed with Capt. Jay and Deb at their Mahogany Run, St. Thomas condo. We spent our first full day on St. John via the people ferry. Cruz Bay has come a long way in the six months since Irma. It is obvious that a huge amount of work has gone into recovery and there is a lot more work to do.

First impression of STJ? It is very ready for visitors. Maybe more ready for visitors than for residents. Many residents and villa owners we spoke with are six months or more from being back to normal. Many insurance claims have not yet been paid. There is enough inventory to meet the demand of visitors for now. I am concerned whether there is enough long-term rentals for the required number of service industry staff.

We ran into Kirk from the VIOL forum at Cruz Bay Landing. It was great to catch up! He is busy this year after having a great year last year with his painting and construction work. It was great to catch up with Boo at ] CBL. She and Wade have a lot of work to do with a house that sounds pretty much destroyed. Cruz Bay Landing Todd's buddy Kenny had lunch there that day.

We caught up with VIOL forumite EagleRayLover/Leslie from the Coral Bay side for a Sunday Fun Day at Water Island. Leslie and Steve have a very cool thing going at Pelican Beach in Coral Bay, St. John, taking reservations starting October. Water access!

We caught up with VIOL forumite Tracey in WI and husband Juice at the airport. Their new villa in Coral Bay is ready for visitors, Into the Mystic. I know this property from previous visits and it has an awesome setting and easy access. I am certain it will be a favorite.

We are definitely back for Halloween with Big Red and Becky.

Cheers, RickG
0 65 Read More
Yesterday at 02:16 PM Post from Leverick Bay [by Lvillejoe]
Soooo glad we came.
Arrived 3/10 Hodges Creek, Dream Yacht.
Lagoon 52, 6 cabins, 5 couples.
Applause to Dream Yacht and the new base managers - Isabelle and Tierry (most likely mispelled).
They are now operating from the east end of the marina while barge and crane are still hoisting boats off the bottom and docks. I think they said they have 40 yachts in the fleet.
Can’t say enough - I received an email about a month after Irma confirming our yacht was destroyed but a new one would be moved from Antigua.
One year old with only minor complaints- this yacht does not have an ice maker!

Departing the marina, there are several submerged yachts and an upside down Lagoon 52 awaiting the derick. Ashore in Tortola, roads are rough. Airport was fine. Signs of Irma everywhere.

On the water - just magnificent!
Easy to find mooring balls at the Indians on a Sunday afternoon. Plenty of room in the Bight. Pirates Bite up and active. Fritters and Pain Killers galore
Easy to pick up a ball at the caves
The volume is way down from one of busiest weeks- Spring Break.
No Yacht Week revelers.

Stopped at Sopers Hole and lunch at Pussers.
They’re open with a less complete menu but it looks like they did the minimal

to reopen and then stopped. It’s like walking through a construction (destruction?) zone. The market has been swept clean but is missing everything inside and windows, doors and walkway. The docks are mostly gone. De Best Cup (coffee) was open but nothing else. Customs has been cleaned up but still operating from a tent. Very sobering and glad we went in.

To have a choice of mooring balls on Great Harbor at 4pm was indeed a treat. Foxy’s looks nearly fully recovered though the dock is not as long as it was and the brewery has, evidently, not reopened.
Christine’s Bakery begins the customs house looks undamaged and the pastries and muffins good as ever.
Customs house looks intact. All other businesses either just reopening or under construction including Corsairs and the dive shop. Fuel docks open and friendly as ever.

Anegada - Arrived before noon on a Tuesday to a full mooring field but found food holding east of the field up by the channel to the ferry pier. The island looks untouched except for some telephone cables still across the roads. Loblolly and Cow Wreck are beautiful as ever and the bars are fully operational though cell coverage is spotty as is the service that permits credit card usage. Potter’s by the Sea served up an awesome lobster meal and a great DJ to continue the party.
Dean Wheatley rented us a vehicle (always a pleasure to deal with) and arranged a charter excursion to see the flamingoes and conch grounds at the east end of the island. Great captain and crew in the 28’ launch - Nigel.
Highly recommended!

Baths were flying a red flag - strong currents and onshore surf- one death reported by the parks official - the Friday before we arrived. And people are still paddling and swimming in! We pulled into Leverick and took a cab ride back to the Baths. At 3pm we almost had it to ourselves. One other party from Phoenix followed us through. Top of the Baths nearly 100%.

Leverick is still under construction but in fabulous shape with the only Spa open that we found. Shops and restaurant all open.

Truly blessed to be here.
My crew of newbies are loving it and seeing it through their eyes, even in its “still recovering” state has been a treat for my wife and I.

Don’t postpone or go elsewhere.
They need your patronage and you won’t be disappointed!

Willing to answer questions but may not check back until next week.
We’re only halfway through the trip!
2 316 Read More
Yesterday at 02:03 PM Anegada - where to stay? [by CottageGirl]
We're trying to put together a last minute trip (late April). Thinking of just hanging out on anegada for a week. Anyone stayed at the Anegada Beach Club tents? Their website says they're up and running and rebuilt from the hurricane. Anywhere else we should look? Thanks!
9 298 Read More
Yesterday at 01:24 PM Big plans for Fort Louis [by Carol_Hill]

It's been a long time since I was up there, but I didn't remember there being that much space up there? Sounds exciting though!
0 266 Read More
03/16/2018 10:46 PM A good book if considering Curaçao [by irish1223]
A good non-fiction book to read if you're considering a visit to Curaçao (do it!) is "Curaçao For 91 Days", by Michael Powell & Jürgen Horn. They write a travel blog about their travels around the globe where they spend 91 days in various places living among the locals. Published in July 2016 and available on Amazon. Also available on Kindle and in Kindle Unlimited for borrowing, if you are a member. Lots of good tips on beaches, restaurants, and historical places to visit. Good stuff!
0 59 Read More
03/16/2018 09:54 PM Looks like Roman Abramovich is back in the Caribbean [by jrr1148]
Watching Maho Beach cam. Close up on a 767 (P4MES). Three passengers (two men, one woman) emerged, were hustled into black SUVs and brought to a waiting helicopter which took off after about 10 minutes. The Maho Beach cam was in telephoto mode following there movements. Luggage appeared to be only one large turquoise roller case.
6 770 Read More