As I understand it, various sections of the beaches (particularly on the french side), the government has given leases which entitle the owner of the lease to have exclusive rights to chair rentals in that specific area of the beach. I assume, without knowing, that if you set up your chair all the way behind all of their chairs, maybe they couldn't prevent you from doing that, but I personally would just go somewhere else, where I wouldn't potentially be hassles. Certain of those lessees state that if you are going to use their chairs, that you cannot bring your own food and drink and use their chairs. It's up to you whether you choose to rent chairs there, knowing their rules. For example, Coco at Esmeralda has had a rule for years that you cannot bring your own food and drink and rent their chairs. I personally choose not to patronize their establishment at all then. Certain places, like Dreams in Nettle Bay, gives free chairs if you eat or drink there. Or, go to Mullet or Club Orient beach, where it doesn't matter if you rent their chairs or not, you can bring your own food and drink.

Carol Hill