We bought in SXM 5 years ago after having timeshare for 18 years at Belaire. We bought it after taking for years about owning a place here. Looked at a few places on line and contacted our rental car agent for a realtor. She recommended Arun Jagtiani from Island Real Estate Team. He did several shows for the first few House Hunters shows. He's a really great guy and not pushy. We looked at one house of several and I knew the owners were in trouble and need to sell quick. They just dropped the price $70k a month earlier and the house was abandon and was on the market for 2 years. I offered them $30,000 less and told them I could close in a month to 6 weeks They took my offer for $25,000 less and now we're owners. The ownership was transferred by notary appointed by the government (Dutch side) no lawyers no fees to the notary, just a 5% one time tax to the government never any property taxes. Did everything through email and one Fedex Letter for final documents. I won't rent the place because there is high taxes to the government and they will give you big headaches if you make a mistake. Plus I just use a carry on and i go on th days when air fair is cheep. About 6 times a year. tips: Pay cash in SXM get your financing in the states and have the ready when you stray looking. Not many turn down a quick turn around. It's no problem with the IRS to do large wire transfers to the Islandun less your hiding something. I never heard anything from the IRS. But you do have to clamp how much you have in any Banks on the Island, Patriot Act. Get an Island bank account. You'll need 2 bank reference letters from you banks in the USA to open an account in SXM.
The prices are high but there are alot of bargains to be found. PM us and I'll fill you in on more details

Pat & Alyson