RickinAtlanta said:
StormJib said:
Is there a BVI company that runs passenger service between Tortola and St. Thomas or are all the ferry boats and operators really controlled by USVI entities? Does the stop on St. John require the ferries operators to be fully Jones Act compliant?

I trust you're not talking about the "Davey Jones Act"?

I am referring to our US laws that require you to use a US Vessel and Crew to move directly between two US Ports. That is one of the many critical problems that plague the economy of Puerto Rico.

The Jones Act when used in the sense of maritime law refers to federal statute 46 USC section 883.

Generally, the Jones Act prohibits any foreign built or foreign flagged vessel from engaging in coastwise trade within the United States. A number of other statutes affect coastwise trade and should be consulted along with the Jones Act. These include the Passenger Services Act, 46 USC section 289 which restricts coastwise transportation of passengers and 46 USC section 12108 restricts the use of foreign vessel to commercially catch or transport fish in U.S. waters.

The essential term that has given rise to various interpretations of what constitutes "coastwise trade". The federal courts have given a very wide interpretation of the term. Essentially the term applies to a voyage that beginning at any point within the United States and delivering a type of commercial cargo to any other point within the United States.

My question is what laws apply to a commercial vessel the travels the St. Thomas, to St. John, to Tortola route?