We chartered out of Antigua last summer on a one-way to St. Martin. It was a great trip and I'd love to return to Antigua to explore the island more as we just barely scratched the surace. In my opinion it is not as charter-friendly as the BVIs in that most anchorages are not as protected, the sailing is more exposed with longer distances, more reefs to contend with and not as many mooring balls available for overnight stops. However, that being said, if you are fine with anchoring, can navigate reasonably well and you enjoy more spirited sailing then Antigua has a lot to offer. We also found that the charter companies (at least in our experience) are more lenient in terms of where you can cruise and more trusting of your abilities to make sound decisions.

I especially liked Nonsuch Bay as I am a kiteboarder and spent a day kiting off of Green Island. Barbuda was paradise for us where we were the only boat one night and only one of 3 boats total the other night on a 14 mile pure sand beach which rivaled Anegada. I will second the statement above though that beach bars and casual restaurants are tougher to come by and we generally dined at resort restaurants or on the boat during our time there.

I would say that if Antigua would just be a stop on a several week cruise then you should surely at least check it out. If it isn't for you just move on to the next island. But do be sure to get to Barbuda - presuming you like huge sand beaches with not a lot of people around.

Matt