BreckSailor said:
One other item to emphasize. I have ZERO concern about airline extra bag fees - that's free in my book ($35 - 75/bag is irrelevant). What I am concerned about is the liklihood of it showing up (since the gear inside is so important for the trip, and very valuable.) That's why I'm interested in at least evaluating a shipping option. One other individual has suggested possibly shipping to STT and ferry over myself - that's certainly an option/thought.

If you really believe you must have it. Call your airline and determine the cost to ship the items. You can declare the proper value. The airlines move very valuable materials everyday. What do you think the value is for a pallet of iPhones or Macs that are coming from China? All that stuff comes by air. Explore the checked baggage limits and the counter to counter options. We move sails(very heavy sails) worth many thousands of dollars that way all the time.

I would really rethink what you need. Getting it there all clean and neatly packed is one thing. If the stuff is "valuable" you may think you have to bring it back at the end of the trip. We learned all this the hard way. We do not do it anymore. Our list of foolishness once included hydrophones to listen for the whales.

We limit ourselves to what we can carry ourselves in one trip from the car to the counter. Any you are correct the heavy and odd sized stuff is the bits that get left behind when they are trying to stuff the belly of the aircraft. I stopped carrying fishing poles when I saw the second one go back in the airport in New Orleans while sitting in my seat waiting to depart.

Last edited by StormJib; 01/11/2017 06:06 PM.