Getting ready to head back to the BVI next month with a few newbies. Here are a few of my previous "newbie hazing" tricks. Something tells me, history will repeat itself.

Hazing #1 - I tell them the flushing system in the head is voice activated. You have to say "flush" and it will flush automatically. Sometimes, you have to say it two or three times/louder. I tell them if this doesn't work then you have to use the little pump. By day #2, you have people screaming in the head, "Flush you *#*@" - its pretty funny

#2 - I discuss how the dialects are different between American and BVI english. When we go into a restaurant, I tell the proper way to order food is start by saying "me want", ie, "me want ribs". Be careful, you get some pretty strange looks from restaurant staff.

#3 - This one makes the newbies really mad. On your first night out at anchor or mooring, you talk about how bad the mooring/anchor ropes may be chafed. It's important that everyone look out the port hole from time to time during the night to make sure the boat hasn't drifted off. "Next stop is West Africa!" (this got me in a lot of trouble with one of the wives who didn't sleep all night because she was looking out the porthole!)

Any others?

Last edited by ggffrr11; 01/16/2017 06:18 PM.