aarpskier said:
... our crew of 6 has settled on a ten-day charter of a 40' cat from CYOA starting on October 23, 24 or 25 ...

Well, not so much.

Pre-Trip Report: CYOA v BVIYC

After a positive 20-year experience with a dozen Moorings' charters (Tortola, St. Lucia, St. Martin and Canouan), our crew of six decided to sail to the Spanish Virgins and St. Croix out of St. Thomas.

Based on some positive comments on this forum, I contacted CYOA, which appeared from its website to have two boats that might meet our requirements. All communication, over a period of 3 weeks, was via e-mail. CYOA's responses were neither prompt nor professionally formatted. In the latter half of this period, I explained that we wanted to do a 10-day charter starting in the last week of October, but that because one of our couples was currently in New Zealand, I would need a few days to make the final boat and dates decision. Early on a Friday afternoon, CYOA again confirmed that both boats would be available during our planned two-week travel. I told the CYOA rep I would get back to her "early next week" and she replied: "Perfect!"

On Monday afternoon, after purchasing six non-refundable airline tickets, I sent an e-mail to CYOA stating our specific charter dates and identifying which of the two promised boats we had selected. When I received no reply by noon on Tuesday, I sent a follow-up e-mail asking if we were "good to go." CYOA responded that the boat we wanted was not available, because its owner had it reserved for his/her own use the day of our planned return. CYOA suggested we adjust our now-unadjustable dates back two days, or choose another boat. I replied that our dates were not adjustable, and that we did not want the other boat. I offered to return the requested boat by 9:30 am instead of noon, thus allowing the owner to retain our income stream and still use his/her boat on or near the date reserved. CYOA said "no," stating that an owner "always has the right to use his/her own boat," without ever acknowledging its obligation to know the dates of such use before offering a specific boat for charter.

Frustrated, my search for another St. Thomas company led to BVIYC, with its great website and a host of positive TripAdviser reviews. At 11:00 pm on Tuesday night, I submitted a request for quote, explaining where and when we wanted to go. I got an immediate, automated response. By 7:40 am on Wednesday morning, I had received quotes for two boats, and by noon, after talking with Cassie and a couple of more e-mail exchanges, had a confirmation, charter agreement and related documents in hand. BVIYC automatically applied a 10-days-for-7 promo rate, of which I was unaware. The result? A boat of the same year, manufacturer and desired equipment as the one we were denied by CYOA, but … 4 feet longer, faster, with an extra head, at a total price $300 less, even after the inclusion of travel cancellation insurance!

Every business person knows, or should know, the first rule of success: under-promise and over-deliver. I don't know how the BVIYC charter itself will go, but if it is as satisfying as my initial dealings with Abbie and Cassie, it will be great! I found them to be knowledgeable, efficient, responsive and professional, and excellent representatives of BVIYC.