There seems to be some confusion in this thread. The first kiosks are for obtaining boarding passes, even if your passport won't scan you can log in your info and and get a boarding pass, if your checking bags I wouldn't even bother, unless domestic travel I always get a printed boarding pass. Just in case! The second kiosks are where you used to have your docs checked at the bottom of the stairs. There you scan your boarding pass. Then you proceed up the stairs and go through those kiosks if your a US or Canadian Citizen (I think only those countries), you scan your passport and then have your picture taken. Then you go through the security line. There is no expedited line. If you did not check in and have your "docs checked" go to gate attendant or they will call you up. Upon arrival at JFK yesterday (JetBlue), we landed at 7:28 and where at our car at 7:43. I do not have Global Entry and we did not have bags, but I downloaded the "Mobile passport", answered the questions while on the tarmac and scanned and off we went. If you have the mobile passport app you go to the same line as Global entry but you don't have to stop at the kiosks. Same when leaving customs, just scan your phone and off you go and same line as global entry.