I've seen other posts on this subject, but for the life of me I can't find them via the search function (one area that I always have problems with here).

So here's the deal, I'm trying to figure out whether to carry on or check Self Inflating PFDs in checked baggage. I know that TSA has policies that specifically ALLOW Self Inflating PFD's (with cartridge) to be BOTH carry'd on AND checked baggage. However, my airline (AA) does not allow it in carry on, per their rules. (But, truthfully, how would they ever know since airline never inspects bags???)

HERE is the specific language from from TSA website: "You may bring a life vest with up to two CO2 cartridges inside, plus two spare cartridges in your carry-on or checked bag. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."

I AM checking bags on my trip, so I could put items in checked bags, but in some ways, I'd prefer to have them in Carry-On and specifically call them out to TSA (with copy of their own policy), to make CERTAIN that they allow the items to go through checks. Otherwise, I check the baggage and then (even with PFD's packed with copy of TSA policy) I HOPE that they get allowed by TSA through any checked bag inspections that they may do.

So, I'm curious as to what others have done - with AA flights - especially recently. (I know there's a risk to effectively disregarding airline baggage rules, but I also would hate to run the risk of having TSA confiscate, though that would seem unlikely especially if I provide them their own rules in my checked baggage with PFDs - assuming there's any inspection at all.)

Lastly - I've never ever taken my PFD's to Caribbean in over 10-12 sailing trips there so this is new to me - I'm only taking them because I'm aboard for 2 months throughout Leeward Islands.