Couple added thoughts observations. Say you are in a guaranteed revenue program and your boat is 1/2 loss. The charter Co has to still pay you revenue, have the boat repaired ( like a phase out ++) and they do not have a boat to rent. Meanwhile you still have owners privileges on other boats and then end you have a "damaged good " to - keep, sell, or trade... In this case, I am thinking there will be more totaled boats as possible from the charter co perspective.

Second thought/opportunity-If someone that is reputable and reliable could make a good living if they arranged for owners that buy the salvages to barge a whole load of them down Island and be repaired under the watchful eye of said person. It would offer some compensation to this person as well as jobs to locals and hopefully end up with the previous owner a good boat at a fair price or put more boat back in the used market. I realize this may be wishful thinking but I am guessing there is someone out there with this kind of knowledge and connections to make it happen.

This is definitely "one for the books"