I've only driven once in Cancun since summer to go to Costco. I've driven around PDC a number of times and like the mall (movies are in English with Spanish sub-titles). Strolling along 5th Ave. is fun and lots of places to eat. The merchants are all trying to entice one into their shops, but they are friendly. The common line is, "...lady...lady...remember me? I was your waiter the other night..." -- Prices are good in the shops and the beach is only a short walk from 5th Ave.

If you drive to Akumal, you want to go past the pedestrian bridge over Rt. 307, and take the "retorneo," that will access Rt. 307 north. The small entrance to Akumal beach area is just before the pedestrian bridge. It is easy to miss. If you want to go to Yal Ku lagoon, go through the arch and drive about 2 miles to it.
For lunch, you can drive back to La Buena Vida, or back near the arch. I like to park in the lot by La Cueva del Pescador. It is 20 pesos per hour. Then you have a choice of places to eat: La Cueva del Pescador (the owner will take people fishing for $), or walk to Akumal Bay for a swim and lunch at Lol Ha.