I know this thread is about Maho, but I can say the rest of the island has the same circumstances. I think one has to ask themselves, "is the glass half empty or is the glass half full." We're leaving today after being here almost 2 weeks. There are so many parts of the island that have come back really "SXM STRONG". Other parts and areas still need a lot of work. The amazing thing is how far they've come along and the attitude of the people. As has been said in so many threads, the people are so pleased and grateful to see tourists here. They go above and beyond. We've dined at Buc's, Izi, Moulin Fou, Mario's, Isola, Sky is the Limit to name a few. All were fantastic and during the dining experiences, you'd never know anything happened on the island in these particular restaurants. Driving around, yes you see the costs of the storm, but you also see the growth on the vegetation coming back, the people rebuilding, the business' rebuilding. Were there some places we usually go not open yet? Restaurants? YES. But what we did see open and patronized, it was like there was no difference. Would I recommend a first timer go here, maybe not quite yet. You always want to show your goods at it's best. But people who truly love the island and the people here etc., don't be afraid to come back. Just my humble opinion.