I am very susceptible to sea sickness -- at least one time on a dive boat I was pretty much wishing for death. I’ve never been sea sick in the BVI. A few things to keep in mind:
  • The SFD channel in the BVI is relatively protected. You can get some decent size waves/swells, but often for just a relatively short time until you can get into the lee of one of the islands.
  • The motion of a boat cutting through the waves at a good clip is (in my experience) relatively easy to take. It’s when you’re stationary or moving slowly, and rocking back and forth that things get really bad.
  • Remember to keep your eyes on the horizon or something else off the boat. When you look at something close to you on the boat, your brain gets conflicting messages from your eyes and your balance mechanism. This is not 100% of what causes sea sickness, but it’s a big part of it.
  • When it’s just the two of you on the boat, you’re in charge! The islands of the BVI are close together, and if you don’t feel well you can generally duck in somewhere pretty quickly. Not like a dive boat or fishing boat where you’re trapped out there until a predetermined time.
  • We prefer to spend our nights in very protected places where we don’t get rocked. There are plenty of those to choose from in the BVI. Others like to be rocked to sleep, and make different choices.

Hope this alleviates some of your concern!

Dan cheers