Beerman,

We went in July and had several days in the high 60's and sunny so very comfortable. We also had rain and a bit of snow - even near the coast. Absolutely 24 hour daylight, gets an eery dusk from midnight to around 4 am.

F35 is like driving across the surface of Mars. We stayed at a lodge on the top of the mountain - 32 degrees farenheit. Sat in a stone hut tub fed by two pipes, one from (scalding) hot springs, one from snow melt - add or remove a pipe to desired temp. The drive would be about 8 hours I think - slower going than you would think.

In Hofn we stayed at Nyibær Guesthouse - nothing fancy but clean and adequate for one night. In Vik we stayed at the IcelandAir hotel-opposite end of the spectrum. We booked a lot of places through hotels.com or booking.com and stayed mostly in guesthouses/bed and breakfast type places. The black sand beach with Basalt pillars (near Vik) is interesting. I recommend the boat ride through the Jokulsarlon lagoon - we wanted to do the rafts, but it was too icy for them and our only option was the big amphibious truck - still fun. Drive to the beach where the lagoon exits into the ocean, it's fun to watch the iceberg pieces 'escape' the lagoon.

We also enjoyed the short hike on the glacier - very interesting but I think the short hike is sufficient - they offer longer ones.

The waterfalls are fantastic and we really never got tired of them. Seljalandsfoss was one of my favorites as you can walk around behind it - caution, the temperature behind the falls is easily 20 (if not 30) degrees less than in front.

The people are all very friendly.