Originally Posted by islandgem
Canada has recently changed the travel advisory for Canadian citizens travelling to St. Maarten/ St. Martin from exercise normal security precautions to now exercise a high degree of security precaution. This puts the island in the same category as many high risk travel countries. This is very concerning to me as this island has never been on the travel advisory previously in this manner. Recent crime and safety of travellers has been cited as the reasons. Avoid all non essential travel is the next step in this advisory and I really hope the island gets things in order to avoid that!

Thank you Elizabeth. That is exactly how it appears and has nothing to do with two viruses. Very sad.

"Exercise a high degree of caution
There are identifiable safety and security concerns or the safety and security situation could change with little notice. You should exercise a high degree of caution at all times, monitor local media and follow the instructions of local authorities
."

Travel Link

Above is the same link MissSunfish posted. Click on the various tabs to see Risk Levels, Safety and Security, Health, etc. It seems pretty clear to me and was just updated May 29, 2018.

It has nothing to do with "terrible reporting" as MissSunfish alluded to. It is what the Canadian Government recently issued (May 29) for St. Maarten.

J.D.