Anybody else notice American playing a tiny bait and switch with both dollar fares and miles fares?

About amonth ago both Kayak and AA.com showed $620 fares roundtrip with many flight combo choices. Each time you pick the cheapest outbound and returns and hit continue one invariably came back saying one segment was unavailable leaving you with a $900+ combo. This went on for days and eventually the $620 was gone. I never called hoping the ether gods would eventually allow purchase. We decided not to come this month.

Fast forward to now looking for new years with points. Lot of 80k point each way tickets but some 15k each way segments. At the time i started the other day i had 59,675 for what was shown to be two roundtrips at 30k each. I Incould wait until next months credit card cycle and get those 325 points from credit card but risk the award going up.
So, i decide to buy a 1000 miles for what totals $60 to complete the redemption and get booked.

Next day I look at online activity and notice i still have 6000+ points left. After the fact they reduced the total award ticket redmption to 54000 miles for 2 tickets. Why didnt they do that before i blew 60 bucks for 325 points.

On the positive side for American, their points seem to have much more value than Delta where the tickets would have been 50k miles each for a 1 stop each way itinerary.

Just wish the numbers that came up at american were easily and always executable as they pop up. Dont tease me.