Ok as far as collecting money as you go is a horrible idea. Here is how I have always run our charters. We charter the Moorings 514 Powercat. I take the total cost of the boat and divide it by 8 people and give them till 70 days prior to leaving the dock to pay that in full. People that pay are committed and are serious. Be firm on the payment schedule. I tell them from there very beginning that they must have $250 in $20 bills payable at the dock. This is $100 for fuel and $150 for food. I tell them from the beginning that if they don't have this then the boat can not leave because we will not have food or fuel. Any provisioning ahead of time is taken out of this kitty. I always provide receipts for any provisions prior. As I am checking out the boat the others go shopping with the food money to finish provisions. I pay mooring balls and trash out of this kitty set up. At the end we take whatever money is left over and go out and have a big dinner and drinks. As far as flights, hotel and ferry cost, I put that on each individual. I layout everything prior so there are no surprises. Remember you will have to feed your Captain and house him in one of the bunks along with tip. So don't forget about the incidentals that come with chartering with a Captain. This is why we bareboat!

Cruising the local waters here in SC and GA. Love the BVIs and miss the Tradewinds!