Originally Posted by DanS
Originally Posted by Steve27
I tell them from the very beginning that they must have $250 in $20 bills payable at the dock.

Is this a trick? smile

Dan

HeHe.

When I ran a charterboat, a hundred years ago, we had lots of 'tandem' charters. The brokers knew, or would ask, who we were comfortable with as our tandem boat. Things ran like clockwork, because I knew the other captain's policies about anchoring, rafting, guest use of the equipment, etc. - and he/she knew mine. No lengthy discussions required.

If price is comparable, I'd definitely go with a broker. No additional cost to you, and the boats will have been cared for as an owner would care for his boat. I'd also not be afraid to take a cook. I know it's more pricey, but when considering the total cost of the trip - it's a really worthwhile luxury. You can reduce costs by indicating how many days/nights you'd like to eat ashore.

You also have an opportunity, through a broker, to match the vibe of your group with the vibe of the boat's crew. For example, we didn't take 'party-ers' - but preferred active, adventurous types. Other captains did party-ers well. The brokers knew that.