All the lines were neatly stored, but the 2nd reef was left in the main after it had been stacked at their dock (I assume) and I missed that. It wasn't until I looked at the reef 2 line bundle and said, hey that's an awful lot of line for a reef that shouldn't be in place. My experience with their boats (with 2 exceptions I admit over the years) is that they make sure all reefs are shaken out before they tie everything up. I had no issue with reef 1 but reef 2 had been left in place. I know I should have unlocked it or spotted the issue, but the battens and lazyjacks were what I was focused on at the time.

I watched the battens clear the first few lazyjack lines but then something (the reef 2 line I missed) pulled it off center and they got caught again.

Besides no traveler, the 45.3 also had a different reefing system that didn't involve hooking the ring on the luff to the mast. So during the hoist it wasn't as obvious when a reef had been left in place.

Another difference when taking it down was that the boom & sailpack themselves were so high off the cabin that my 6'6" son couldn't reach it to help pull it down. He either grabbed it with the boathook or climbed up the mast on the provided mast steps.

Louis from Houston