This type event really bothers me. I understand the the criminal mind that is conducting these activities (robbing a tourist in broad daylight) is not a representation of the island as a whole. But unfortunately if this type of activity continues to take place the bad news will spread. People in general tend to gravitate towards drama and bad news over positive things.

If people start to not feel safe going to the Beach on an island that boast the "Best Beaches in the Caribbean" then how will that affect the tourism? Like I stated earlier, bad news always spreads much faster that the good.

Now, I personality have always felt safe going out on St. Martin. Whether it was walking down the strip in in the evening Grand Case, going out for dinner after dark in Cul De Sac, or just driving back to our condo after dark from anywhere on the island. But that may be just my personality. We are pretty adventurous folks and I think people can tell weather or not you make an easy target or not just by the way you handle yourself.

Anyways I sincerely hope that this is an isolated event. This poor island has been through enough in the last couple of years and doesn't need any more bad press or bad karma.