Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
You are buying in a foreign country that basically has NO timeshare legislation. Do your homework before signing and paying.

A very wise man and dear friend, one whose SXM condo we were very seriously considering purchasing from him (to the tune of $150000.00 and a very dear price to us at the time.....) suggested to me that if we couldn’t comfortably afford to lose the money we were spending, we really shouldn’t purchase outside of the US. We thought long and hard about his admonition and decided at the time we really couldn’t afford to even POSSIBLY lose that amount of money comfortably so we didn’t buy his condo and instead bought our first week of timeshare at the Towers. To this day no regrets on either decision although I hope the Towers is able to get their repairs done soon before another year comes to pass.

My sincere hope is the government of SXM will someday get their $hit together and enact the long promised but still nonexistent timeshare legislation they’ve been promising for a minimum of twenty plus years so that no others will ever again suffer the fate of those who were the early pioneers of timeshare fraud and mismanagement at the original Pelican Resort or those who later bought at Algeria and possibly even those who may end up losing at the Ocean Club. Not everyone is as fortunate as we were to have that dear friend and all his wisdom.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."