First word.... Taboulleh.

When the weather gets hot in Maine, I can't make enough. There are weeks in July and August when dinner just is tabbouleh, or tabbouleh with... grilled something, the something grilled leftovers, just tabbouleh with or without the grilled or leftovers wrapped in fresh local butterleaf or redleaf lettuce, maybe with garlic bread, maybe with pita crisps. On a bad night, it might be whatever tabouuleh is there for claiming.

Second word .....mozzarella/tomato/onion/basil salad with WHITE Balsamic Vinegar and olive oil. If your tomatoes are not local, a teaspoon of sugar helps. This salad also sides well with anything fresh grilled, leftover grilled, and stands alone with pride.

If you have local fresh corn, that is a handy addition, to either of the above. Same with Snow Peas, Sugar Snap peas, or late Shelled Peas. ( I've even snuck blanched frozen petite-pois into both salads.)

Yummmmmmmmmm.. and I need a trip to a real grocery store.

Neither of the above are mayo based. Their genesis is from the Mid East and the Mediterranean. The possibilities are legion.

They both improve with age, they can be easily paired with ANYTHING grilled, ( meat, mushroom or vegetable ) and they are both endlessly amenable to cultural fusion-seasonings as sides and stand-alones.

Breeze