could only move the wheel about 5 degrees either way, and was having trouble holding my course. I didn’t want to force the steering, in case I broke something (worse) than it already was, and I didn’t want to start the engines in case we had something wrapped around the rudder (and in turn, the prop), so we got out the manual tiller and we still couldn’t steer more than 5 degrees either way. Well, since we’re very close to Barefoot, I wasn’t going to go over the side to see what was happening... we might as well put it on their laps instead of mine - it's why we charter - chase boats!
+++++++++++++++++
we chartered a at least 5 yr old 36 or 38 benneteau from i think sunsail in 2007 in st vincent . between bequia and almost to mayreau /tobago cays area the steering locked up. I could stand on the wheel's spoke (I weigh 210) and it would not move. it was like this for a few minutes, the autopilot was on when it locked up and the auto pilot tried to steer the boat without success, the motor whirring on and off and grinding and making noise and then a big bam, and a rubber cogged belt and several little plastic wheels and plastic parts flew out of the wheel mount into the cockpit deck (maybe a raymarine unit?) . the wheel was then loose with steering . so no problems, we sailed on and about an hour later found the propeller shaft missing (and the boat flooding). I dont know if when the shaft came out could it have bound up the rudder or were the two unrelated?

Last edited by sailn; 11/25/2012 03:32 PM.