my thought was that in Dawns case the expert applied more force and broke something loose.
In my case the autopilot was bound up and self destructed itself. My only reason for posting was that in both cases there was a steering lockup, which in my charters has never happened nor do you hear much about it.

In our case the prop shaft went out thru the aft hull opening and water just sprayed into the boat flooding up level with the floorboards. the company sent a diver and a mechanic after we called a mayday - were towed by the weekly freight boat (no seatow or coast guard)to an island we were not going to-who fixed it- did they bring a new shaft I dont know. the sole bilge pump was inoperative - french built one pump US boats have 2 or more, and the old and new shafts did not have lockwire thru the engine output hat bolts that hold the shaft in. there were also major digs in the rudder on an extended line from the shaft, they had algae in them telling me perhaps the shaft had come out before and hit therudder before? ??
Irrelevant really, the steering autopilot broke and the shaft came out about 2 hrs apart.