The airport is finished, there are now direct flights from Canada.
If you are fit make arrangements to the Hike up La Soufriere volcano, it's a long strenuous hike from the leeward side of the island but well worth it. You can also go from the windward side but the hike isn't as nice.
The market in Kingstown is far better than either of the ones in St. Lucia and Grenada. There are also vendors on just about every inch of sidewalk in the city. The fish market is also very nice. I would avoid the meat market, it's not like a butcher shop you would find back home.
As for bars/restaurants, the Cobblestone Bar has good food at a decent price, very nice open air dining room on the second floor. If you are staying near Young Island Cut the French Veranda is a bit more upscale, but good food and still reasonable.
The botanical gardens are worth a visit for an hour or so, your admission includes the services of a knowledgeable guide.
Kingstown is not a tourist town, I would liken it more to Castries rather than Soufriere (my favorite town in all the Caribbean).
When we're on St. Vincent I always make it a point to visit Kingstown just to spend the day walking around, we always seem to make a new discovery.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!