We have been visiting and sailing the BVI for 35 years.

That includes several groups of people from the sailing club, as i was group leader for our flotilla sailing the BVI. for two weeks each time. The largest group was was 12 boats. Other trips were less, and also other sailings vacation in the BVI with other couples. As well as just Erica and I.

Now, the BVI trips varied as to flight plans. Actually over time, this was from two different departure points, Not east coast, but LAX.....( los angeles ), and also LIH ( kauai Island ) . Then MIA or DFW and on to SJU. to EIS .

Never had a problem. Also, we had pre-i cruise/ travel meetings/ chats with the people, We discussed, how to pack and what to bring. ONE ONLY AIR LINE SIZED CARRY ON, period. what islands to visit, sailing and watch standing, the boat systems,
snorkeling, safety tips and travel arrangements. Air, land, and sea. Also, how we handle transfers from Orange County to LAX . And back home. We discussed Air Travel, lead times, and RON.ing, at hotels the first and last nights of our two week sailing sailing vacations. We were all prepared for all aspects from travel to on board the vessel sailing the BVI. People had to take care of their own travel arrangements .

The last several years, just Erica and I, we flew LAX to MIA , and then SJU, and then Cape Air to EIS . We had some lead time between flights , just in case of any delays. Never had a problem in all those many years..
As to SJU... we kept it simple and Remained Over Night at the on site Airport Hotel....it was declining rapidly, SJU was under construction, and Cape Air prices rose to about $ 1400.00 R/T for a 45 minute flight. we really enjoyed flying Cape Air,
I have been flying professionally for close to 40 years, Erica is also a Private Pilot. We like general aviation aircraft. I would sit up in the right seat in the cockpit, Erica in the cabin seat, taking photos and enjoying flying over the islands.

But, with the dismal SJU hotel, the construction in the Terminal, and the huge price of Cape Air, and the reported problems with the other inter island air lines to EIS ( Beef Island ), this next trip we are making a change.

LAX, MIA, STT ( St Thomas ), RON at neat hotel, and then first ferry ( $ 40.00 give or take ) early the next morning to Road Harbor, Tortola. We also have a hotel for the first night, before boarding our Jeanneau 36 i.

We have plenty of wiggle room, so no having to rush about or worry about travel dead lines, missed flights, or late for our early boarding at Conch Charters ..

We fly American Airlines, travel with one carry on, and narry a problem in 16 previous BVI sailing vacations.

All we can do is to share how we handled flying with large groups, and also with just another couple , and now, just the two of us. Perhaps you can apply some of those ideas to take some of the stress off your shoulders.
Prior Proper Planning for us was very important . Worked out well for our situations. And, at times, we were crossing the Pacific Ocean from Kauai, Hawaii, to LAX, then across the U.S Continent, to MIA, and then to SJU, and the the V.I.

Thankfully, now it is leaving from LAX..... Yet, we still plan so that our airline flights will be easy as possible . And, new to us, going in to St. Thomas ( by- passing SJU) , staying the night, at St Thomas, and up early for the 08:00 am ferry to Road Town.

The good thing about that ferry, is saving about $ 1400 in yankee green, that we can apply to our dinner and partying ashore.

Just FYI, There are lots of different ideas on travel plans, that are quite different and work just fine for others headed to the BVI.

Travel can be a bit of a hassel, to get to the BVI, but once we are there, all that is totally forgotten .....the party light is illuminated.

Have a super BVI vacation.

Last edited by captdennyj; 02/20/2019 09:25 AM.