So very sad for all concerned - her family most of all but for all who were there to see this sad event play out.

Mullet Bay Beach was the first beach on the island we experienced all the way back to 1973 and it’s been our favorite ever since but it’s not always a swimmers delight. There are days when the waves lick the shores as gently as water splashing in your bathtub but there are also days when the waves roil and thrash and the strongest of swimmers might have issues.

We’ve seen surfers there on many occasions and we were there one day when the Soualiga Patrol came by and declared the beach closed and swimmers had to leave the water, but as soon as the patrol left they went right back in again.

This beach, like so many others is like the three faces of Eve. You need to be constantly aware and there are many days when it’s a great place to curl up on a lounge chair with a cold drink and a good book and soak up some sun but save the swimming for back at the pool.

We may never know if this sad day was the result of a health issue or a rogue wave, but regardless, I won’t go as far as to condemn this beach over so many others, since I’ve always had my own personal fears at Baie Rouge, Guana Bay, Cupecoy and even Simpson Bay at times to name but a few. The ocean can be very deceiving and always demands my full attention.

I offer my most sincere condolences to the family and friends of this victim and I hope it raises all our awareness as to how the ocean can be a tranquil haven or a roiling cauldron and we have to pay constant attention lest we become victims, too.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."