These ships are remarkable and these issues relatively remote -- I recently took the super tour of one including cool spots like engine control room - laundry - photo lab, back stage, galley, freezer areas, hospital/morgue, exhaust stack. I have remarkable respect for the ship and crews.

That said, I think they might rethink an emergency plumbing plan by literally having an area where they can configure as a "real life poop deck" --- a latrine where a pump can bring seawater up and continuously flush a set of "private stalls" constructed on the deckplate like the old roman public bathrooms. The cleanup would be minimal). Also, I read they airlifted a generator which allowed the restoration of hot meal prep ---- might want to add that emergency generator to the design to have that on board.

I can only imagine if sees were rough and they were adrift.

Most of these boats are diesel/electrics. There are multiple diesels to generate electricty for the props --- why does one engine fire totally disable the propulsion of the ship. You would hope they could reconfigure/rewire toget something out of the other prop (couple knots/stabilization). An open sea Atlantic or Pacific crossing could be even more sporty than this episode.

Hopefully cruise prices will be alittle lower as a result.

It makes me wonder why out of all the Carnival brands (Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, P&O, Seabourne, Princess and others)why do Carnival & Costa have less safety success.