Hello John & Bev ... I might be able to answer a few -- but not all -- of your questions. First, I have no idea what Pelikaan Beer is, but it sounds interesting! I'm kind of a Corona Guy.

If I was driving to Lagoonies from where you'll be at there's no way I'm going over the causeway. You might get stuck on that for an hour or so. I would take Airport Road which then becomes Welfare Road, hang a left at the traffic circle and head back north on either Waterfront or Wellington Road to get there. I saw enough of that causeway last week. Besides, this is a more interesting drive IMO.

I don't believe there are any chairs available on Baie Rouge. The local folks I know told me that government officials shut the guy down who was renting these out on the beach so you'll need to bring your own beach towels and umbrella. I would suggest opting for Mullet Bay Beach instead, but this is your call. Mullet was really, really nice the day we visited.

Pedro's at Orient Beach is history. Just a shack remains that serves no purpose. You'll have two choices if you want to park it in this area. Kontiki is just to the north of the old Pedro's and is really nice. And, the staff is just awesome. $30 will get you two nicely padded beach chairs in dark red plus an umbrella. Or, you can cross over the rocks and rent two beach chairs with less padding from Cedric for $20 plus an umbrella on the former Club Orient beach area. Here, you'll have the option of going without your suits whereas at Kontiki the ladies can only go top free. Both places have a beach bar nearby for drinks and lunch, and both do a fine job with this. They'll be plenty of chairs available if you arrive by 10:30 a.m.

As for the gate on the beach road I think it was open, but I'm actually not sure. You may need to check on that.

Carrefour has a big store on Bush Road on the west side of Philipsburg. It's across the road from the KFC/Pizza Hut and right next to Mark's Place restaurant.

Have fun and hopefully the traffic heading toward Pearson Airport will be manageable!