ok, I read everything here and other posts too but I am in need of a better example or explanation. Here is the scenario: sailboat charter is 15,000 for one week which includes a skipper who is said to cost $1000 for that week. It says that all other fees are extra like Yacht fuel, water and shore electricity and all of our food/liquor provisions. It also says that we need to feed him 3 meals per day. So we probably would tip him based on his fee of $1000....right? But second part of my question is we want to add on a chef to the mix. So it says this will cost $650 for the week + 3 meals/day and a bed and they will provide breakfasts, lunches and 2 dinners, organize food/liquor purchase and keep kitchen, saloon AND bathrooms clean and tidy. To me this is a no brainer of an add on but how much is the chef tip. Seams to me they would be providing a lot more service to the trip than 20% of 650. So let's say that the trip all goes great....skipper gets us everywhere we need go with us (we are the crew) helping where needed and the chef provides us with great meals and cleans up the public areas....we include them with all of our on land festivities (eating, drinking, dancing) and feed them there 3 squares/day. How much do we tip? Do we tip them separately or one lump that they divide? If it goes well we will want to do it again so we don't want to be cheap but we don't want to be way over tippers either.