I have been out of the charter business for a while so I will chime in and probably get flamed for this. I was an owner operator and ran skipper only or capt and cook. I priced my charters turnkey where I knew the profit I needed to make. Sure buy my a few beers or a dinner or 2 and that is awesome. I didn't ask or expect the 10 to 15% gratuity on the charter rate. I turned town tips where it was "your envelope is on the chart table".

Working charter work is absolutely hard work, but very fun profitable work. But if you hire a skipper on a day rate they are $125-200/day, on a one week charter 10% would be $100-200. The turnkey cost of a crewed charter includes the , food, booze, boat, fuel, water, insurance, moorings. Why are you tipping 10-15% of the fixed cost? Shouldn't you just be tipping the amount of the labor cost?

This has been my industry pet peeve for a long time. Then again, I understand tipping a waitress for effort they do, but not a bartender to walk 2 feet open and give me a beer at a bar. Why don't I tip my dermotologist that removed a bunch of stuff last week that might help me live longer.

OK let's start the discussion.