Just thought I'd run this idea up the flagpole and see which way the wind blows it...

At the end of EVERY charter we tend to have loads of provisions left (coco lopez, fruit juice, grog, crisps, nuts, snacks...the list goes on). Generally most of the rum goes in the suitcase but the rest we either give to a liveaboard (if one happens to be at our final anchorage) or they are left on the saloon table when we leave the boat...in which case I think the Sunsail/Moorings staff take them. However lean we try to make our provisioning we feel its best to have too much than risk running out...so there is usually a damn good haul leftover! I suspect we are not alone in this...

Given that there are so many charterers active on this forum...no doubt people's dates will frequently crossover. I wondered if there was any merit in having a pinned thread at the top of the forum so that people could post their charter end dates and where they are chartering from so these stores could be passed on to fellow TTOLers? You wouldn't necessarily even need to be chartering from the same place. I think a lot of people use Norman, Peter or Cooper as their first and last stops making these great locations for handing over some stores to people who have just arrived.

An additional step could be to assign a maritime code flag to this cause?! Or perhaps just an upside-down pirate flag as so many people seem to have those with them already! So for example if you spot a vessel in an anchorage with a certain flag fluttering or a flag that is clearly the wrong way up you know to jump in the dinghy and casually race over there at top speed to say hello!

For us, we always get a great feeling from giving provisions to other fellow sailors, knowing that they will be enjoyed and also add a bit of 'good feeling' to their time in the BVI.

Wouldn't this be yet another great benefit of this fabulous forum?

Last edited by Christo; 04/05/2019 08:01 AM.