Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I can see both sides in this situation, but I would think there are some things, like Coco Lopez, those kinds of things, that staff really probably cannot use more of. laugh We do have a calendar here that you might use to alert other TTOLers to contact you close to the end of your trip to see if you have provisions that you would like to give to someone, or post a note here at the time.

Personally I dont feel comfortable giving staff alcohol. I build tips to base camp staff at the front and back end into the boat budget and have everyone kick in to give the staff (cleaners, check out person, pilot, front desk et.al.) that takes care of us cash. Their income has really stagnated with the private equity firms ownership and of course they took a large hit post Irma.

To Rick's great point if my crew and myself are blessed and lucky enough to be able to afford a boat for the week in the BVIs we can afford to give the staff that takes care of us cash at the start and finish.

Having done this for a while I can tell you the karma more than comes back as we are well known and incredibly well taken care of in many ways.

I am not saying this is what everyone should do...I just didn't want people to think we were "paying it forward" without paying it to the people who really need and deserve it