Days 5 and 6

We woke up reasonably early Wednesday morning and enjoyed our coffee and pastries on the porch over-looking the pool and ocean here at Royal Islander. I’ve long believed this was one of the best run and best maintained timeshares on the islands. No change in opinions there.........

We headed out to Mullet Bay determined to spend some serious beach time there this trip. What a totally disappointment the day was.

We got there at 10:00 and headed straight for the beach. I was shocked to see how completely the two food concessions have completely taken over all the prime real estate. At fifteen dollars a set-up they must be making a fortune on that alone. There was a very high sand wall, possibly as much as a five to six foot drop down to the waters edge. You can’t get too upset over nature’s realities but seeing that coupled with what came next about broke my heart. The concessionaires left no provisions at all for those in the second row to get through the first one and down to the water so you literally had to bend over and crawl, though not quite on hands and knees to get through and beyond their chairs and to the sand wall before sliding down to the waters edge. And forget about getting back up again........

Then as another tour group arrived they added a third row of chair set ups in what was the walk way between the two rows already there. It was not very pleasant and again, they have to make a living but really? The water looked lovely and enjoyable but we never did get in. And the beach vendors were terrible. I know the island has been through hard times and everyone needs to earn a living but the vendors were many and extremely annoying. The family next to us, Brits off a two week Caribbean tour and very friendly and pleasant people, said this was the worse experience they've had on all the islands they’d visited so far. We enjoyed the beach sights and sounds about as long as we could take it, and we thoroughly enjoyed our Rosie’s ribs and fries lunch but then we left to return to the pool at RI.

The consensus from most everyone we spoke with is the cruise lines are busing their people to Mullet instead of Orient because of the fear of strikers on the French side and the tour boats are pretty much making this one of their prime stops, too. At one point there were five large party boats - Golden Eagle size and type - and several normal private ones as well. It’s no longer the beach we remember and now, with the Easter holidays almost here, I’m sure it will get crazier. I doubt the locals will put up with this total usurping of the beach but I guess that remains to be seen. And I won’t be going there to see how it all plays out.

Dinner last night was at one of our favorites - Le Moulin Fou In Maho and it’s so nice to be able to walk there and NOT have to search for parking. DH had escargot and rack of lamb while I had beef carpaccio and medallions of lobster served over risotto. All was delicious and then DH had their homemade Tiramisu which was enough for three. It seems to me that food prices in general seem to be climbing drastically but the food and the evening were both very enjoyable so not complaining. Well, not very much.......

Thursday 4/18

As is our custom, we enjoyed breakfast in and then more or less planned our day. Wanted to catch up with some friends at BSV and then spend the balance of our day at El Zafiro but some minor details got in the way and we got a very late start. The safe wouldn’t open and we had to wait for maintenance to come so we could get some cash.

We ended up going to El Zafiro first because by this time my DH and his tradesman’s belly were screaming feed me. We both had Cesare salad plates, his with shrimp and mine with chicken and both were delicious. After lunch we went next door to BSV and spent the rest of the afternoon playing catch-up. Omg! That place is wonderful!

We had planned on Bavaria for dinner but we realized most groceries would be closed on Friday and we needed to pick up a few things so we grabbed a pizza at Fat Tony’s in Jordan Village and then went to the small grocery at Porto Cupecoy. The pizza was very good and it was nice to see them, Fat Tonys that is, back bigger and better than pre-Irma. And we laughed because our dinner tonight didn’t cost as much as our tip from the night before.

Called it an early night and here we are......all ready for lalaland with a little time to catch up on the news of the day.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."