ski2play,

It was a tough decision - however when we weighed all the moving parts it only made sense.

My wife loves to swim the Beach to Beach Swim held on Memorial Day weekend every year in STJ.
In fact, she had already registered and we were locked in. (great fund raiser for the Friends of the Natl Park)

She has done the swim a few times before, and has been training since Christmas for the 3.5 mile swim.
I play towel boy and cheerleader joy for the 1 hour and 45 minutes she is in the water.
She was pumped for the swim.

Well the Trump Tax Cut caused us to write a very large check last week, and our friends that were going with us had even a LARGER check to write (no politics allowed on TTOL - enough said)
Also, being over Memorial Day weekend air prices seemed very high. Our friends had a business trip backing up to the STJ week - and it just became too hard. They had to drop out. sad

We first looked at going a different week, but my sweetie was going for the swim and two weeks later to the island was not the same for her.

So.... We started looking at the total cost for the 7 days for the two of us to go to STJ, and then I did a what if... we went to Spain drill. Turned out 11 days in Spain was more reasonable and offered a longer stay. Lodging being the biggest discriminator. We were using Frequent Flyer Miles so airfare was not a large factor. Having said that the STJ airfare was well above $600 and flights to Spain were hovering slightly above $800

It was decided Spain would be the trip! We were high school sweet hearts and exchange students back in 1972 at the University of Salamanca. Our travels over the years have taken us to Spain, but not back to Salamanca. Our main driver is to return where we fell in love 47 years ago. (Sounds cheesy but true) We will be based out of Salamanca, but plan on doing day trips to the surrounding sights. (and wineries)

So really ski2play in retrospect – it was not that tough of decision
Our first visit to STJ was 1979 and have been back probably 25 times since, but Salamanca only once.

Carol,
I will check with my wife about the hair…
I was thinking about Madonna and Patti Smith

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés