visit before last to SXM we saw several folks try to plop down in front of chairs that we had rented at Kon-tiki - they were asked to move each time - always pleasantly - once they refused and gendarmes actually came and asked them to simply just move down the beach - there was literally open, clean sand just beside where they were trying to roost - it was just pure rudeness...

last visit were at Bikini (cruise ship day - post Irma - only bar open at the time) - some woman got pissed that the chairs were 15 bucks each and refused to pay - put her towel right in front of her friend who paid for one chair (15 bucks) and in the shade of the umbrella - throughout the day she routinely sat on the chair she refused to pay for but would move if she saw anyone who looked like an employee get anywhere near her. She was loud and obnoxious - the very definition of ugly American. it was a spectacular day - and her loss not to enjoy it over being pissed off about 10 or 15 bucks.

I'm sorry - I travel on a budget sometimes too - i get that - but if you can afford to go on a cruise ship, take a taxi to Orient Beach and back, buy lunch and drinks and what-not, you can afford the dough for a chair. Lives were lost - businesses were closed - these people are truly just trying to earn a living the best way they know how. I was five bucks a day on my morning coffee.