It is straight-forward to clear into St John (after you first clear out of the BVI).

- While you're home, download and complete CBP Form I-418 Crew List and as much of the CBP Form 1300 Vessel Entrance Form as you can (you can finish filing out the vessel info once the charter company gives you the ship's papers).

- Grab a mooring ball near Lind Pt, St John. Dinghy with entire crew into Cruz Bay. Take the north channel past the yellow National Park Service building and tie up at the NPS dock (do not tie up at the commercial wharf).

- From the NPS dock, turn right at the main road and walk 100 yards to the CBP trailer just inside the iron gate on your right side (opens at 10:30 am).

- Usually takes less than 5 minutes to clear-in my crew.

- Cost = $0 except a small surcharge on holidays.

- You do not need to clear-out of the USVI when returning to BVI.

- Returning to BVI, you will need to clear-in - typically, Great Harbour, JVD or West End, Tortola. Only the ship's captain needs to report to C&I. Rest of crew stays onboard. This should take less than 20 minutes.

- You'll need to fill out the same immigration form for each crew member as you filled out when you first ferried/flew in. In addition, there is a ship's manifest & crew list form to be filled out. The ship info is similar to that you put on the CBP Form 1300 and your charter company should have the info.

- The BVI customs processing fee is ~$20. I do not know if you will need to re-pay the $10/person Environmental Tax that you paid on your initial entry. You'll also have to pay the $6/person/day BVI cruising tax for remaining days in the BVI.