Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
For what it is worth, I spoke to a local SXM friend who happens to be a long time and 2nd generation licensed taxi driver with a full sized GMC/Chevy van.

His understanding (he was not working at the time but since he knows other taxi drivers, I am sure he got close to accurate information) is as follows:

A SXM taxi driver had prearranged tours for MANY people on this ship as I guess there was a large contingent he had connected with. The SXM taxi driver then enlisted some fellow licensed taxi drivers and also at least one UNLICENSED driver to get this large group around. The group was enjoying their tour while in multiple taxi vans and were also partaking in the party atmosphere while touring. It is his understanding the very large group (multiple vans) had stopped in Marigot for more refreshments when the young and unlicensed taxi driver of the van in question backed up so his group could converse with another group. At this point he neglected to put the van in park and when the tour was ready to move on, he accelerated while still in reverse and went into Marigot harbor. I was also told many of the vans were filled beyond capacity (by a few people) as the large group wanted to stay together and they could not secure enough vans.

While it appears to have been a licensed taxi van, the young driver may not have been licensed, was inexperienced and according to my friend, had no business behind the wheel.

It doesn't seem to be worth very much since much of the information is poor supposition or just plain wrong. Your friend was not in attendance and a number of things he has relayed to you are totally wrong or just guessing. The "bus" was not in reverse but in forward(just look at the published photos or real reporting) and went over the rocks and entered the water front first. If the bus had entered the water rear first than there would have been a greater likelihood of more serious injury or death.

In one line you state "the young and unlicensed taxi driver of the van in question" but than you follow that up later with "the young driver may not have been licensed". Which is it or don't you know? You state it both ways. I have not found a single published report on the accident that has anyone listed as an involved driver as being "UNLICENSED".

β€œIt was an accident that could have happened to anyone at any time,” said a taxi driver who was at the scene. (The Daily Herald as reported on 25 June 2019)

Accidents in life truly do happen and sometimes "incompetence" has nothing to do with it. It hasn't been determined yet if there was anything wrong with the bus or if it was human error or a combination of both.

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
This is the problem when people report unsubstantiated information and spread it like wildfire on social media.

You are doing here, exactly what you are railing against with your last statement. You are reporting unsubstantiated and truly incorrect information on this board. (social media) Let us do better.

* I apologize in advance for any poor grammar.

Be Happy! Simply because you deserve to be. 😁